Way OT: I'm the dumbest member of the forum

Started by bioroids, October 14, 2005, 03:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioroids

probably the dumbest in the world...  :icon_rolleyes:

I just happen to buy 60 LM13700M, only to find out they are Surface Mount devices!! :icon_evil:  :icon_evil:

What the heck can I do with them? I have already all the boards made for standard DIP parts.

Sorry for the rant, does anyone want some good ol' LM13700M, I sell them for cheap  :icon_wink:

This happens when you think you dont need Small Bear for all your supplies... It was my fault anyway, I overlooked the M sufix...

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Hal

some places (mouser) take returns.

Don't worry, everyone's done something like that.

Mark Hammer

I'm working on some sort of generic surfboard masks for working with surface-mount chips.  Once I get the layouts finalized, I'll post the graphics.  I'm pretty sure you should be able to nail the requisite resolution with PnP, but I'm just crossing my fingers to see if its the sort of thing that can work with glossy photo paper.  So far, I've been pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to work with such teeny devies.  Fiortunately, is you have a board that is decently tinned, and wipe a bit of liquid solder flux on top when you're ready to use them, soldering is simply a matter of "sweating" the chip to the board.

So don't toss them yet.  Hell, you may be able to fit a 12-stage or even 16-stage phaser into a 1590B!  And wouldn't you be the %^&* of the walk then!

MartyMart

That's funny, one of the only "free samples" I ever had was a bunch of SMT ic's !!
That'll teach me  !
They're still in a drawer ......
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

bioroids

Hi!

I got very good results out of glossy paper, so I will give it a try when you post those graphics!
Also this may be the ocasion to start digging into SMD, wich I've been thinking for some time now.

Luck!

Miguel

PS: hey, this new forum warns you if someone replied while you were writing! pretty cool!
Eramos tan pobres!

Mark Hammer

I kept avoiding SMT until I inquired about the Alesis/Wavefront chips used in the Fem-to-verb.  They sent me a couple of sets.  Then Peter Snow gave me a bunch of SMT TL081's that *he* had bought by accident (all too common lapse, it would seem).  Then I found that a local retailer had brought in a bunch of surf-boards for a special client order and had a bunch left over.  Then I realized that I had all these old 8-bit sound cards and lightening-fried modems with all sorts of tiny caps and dual/quad op-amps (and even LM386's) on them.  And well...one thing led to another and I decided to start thinking seriously about putting SMT work on the same footing as regular perfboard.  Now all I need to do is score a bunch of tiny Boss-style PC-mount pots from Mouser, buy a variety-pak of 1/8W resistors, get me someswitch actuators from Small Bear so I can use the bypass on-board DPDTs I have lying around, and I'll be able to give Z-Vex a run for his money! :icon_lol:

wampcat1

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 14, 2005, 04:33:23 PM
I kept avoiding SMT until I inquired about the Alesis/Wavefront chips used in the Fem-to-verb.  They sent me a couple of sets.  Then Peter Snow gave me a bunch of SMT TL081's that *he* had bought by accident (all too common lapse, it would seem).  Then I found that a local retailer had brought in a bunch of surf-boards for a special client order and had a bunch left over.  Then I realized that I had all these old 8-bit sound cards and lightening-fried modems with all sorts of tiny caps and dual/quad op-amps (and even LM386's) on them.  And well...one thing led to another and I decided to start thinking seriously about putting SMT work on the same footing as regular perfboard.  Now all I need to do is score a bunch of tiny Boss-style PC-mount pots from Mouser, buy a variety-pak of 1/8W resistors, get me someswitch actuators from Small Bear so I can use the bypass on-board DPDTs I have lying around, and I'll be able to give Z-Vex a run for his money! :icon_lol:

Sorry to cut in, but do you happen to have the part number for those pots? I've been looking for some!

Thanks,
Brian

Mark Hammer

phaeton

I know a guy on IRC that builds stuff (non-audio) with SMD devices in a toaster oven.  He says it's actually easier than you might think.  There are a few folks that do that sort of thing, but it's not something I want to get into (we'll see what happens when through-hole components are no longer manufactured).

You can probably return them.
You can probably ebay them.
You can probably still do something with them.

I think everyone's misordered stuff. Although, Jameco once shipped me the wrong pile of capacitors, and i *did* order them correctly.
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

puretube

I`d swap`em with you for DIP`s - if the shipping to you were only reasonable- ...

bioroids

Thanks Puretube but yes, the shipping would be more expensive than the parts I think :(

Now I have a goal: to be working in SMD next year  :icon_cool: let's see what happens!

Unfortunely I can't return it as my provider imported it specially for me (seems like no one else in Argentina is using OTAs, well maybe some CA3080)

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Peter Snowberg

SMD is a great goal! 8) 8) 8)

I've switched over as the parts cost fell to equal through hole parts. I REALLY PREFER to work with SMD parts, as long as they don't get too small. ;)

1206 & 0805 resistors are VERY easy to work with. 0603 parts are a a little harder, but still easy with good light and a two day lack of coffee.

SOIC and even TSSOP packages are super easy to solder with a good iron, some flux paste, and a board that has the copper coated with a thin layer of 63/37 solder.

Forget BGA with an iron.  :D

Places I still use through-hole parts....
     -jacks/connectors
     -film caps
     -socketed parts for replacement/substitution
     -trimpots
     -vintage mojo parts
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

bioroids

I think the SMD parts are still a tad more expensive than regular parts around here... at least the ICs. :icon_sad:

What about electrolityc caps? It seems that I can only get tantalum in SMD (wich I normally avoid)

Luck!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!