Small Bear should carry...

Started by amz-fx, October 16, 2005, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amz-fx

A thin metal washer with a 1/2" hole to replace the ugly white plastic one that comes on the 3PDT switches!

Another suggestion:  blank cardboard boxes that are the proper size for 1590B and 1590BB pedals.

Just my 2 cents, Steve.

regards, Jack

Fret Wire

I heartily second both those suggestions!  :icon_smile: :icon_smile:
A nice plated washer about half the thickness of the original plastic one would be nice.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

petemoore

Â THe washers, yes, I like the White, but colors would be nice too.
   blank cardboard boxes that are the proper size for 1590B and 1590BB pedals..for packaging?...makes sense I suppose.
 I know SB is not a manufacturer, I sure would like to see a pot 'plunge twister', or some type of simpler method of setting up various value pots to a treadle...wah cases with gear assemblies maybe? For any value pot with a standard shaft diameter, I have some 'stupid' looking treadle/cases I made, they work, but aren't exactly something you can recommend to 'normal' people who like smart looking stuff.
 For wah, yes, a heavy duty pot is certainly recommendable for 'road' use, but for phasers or something controlling an LFO, the 'duty' {IMO} can be much lighter, and just having a right value pot that turns by foot [works and looks cool] would meet my criterion...and be a MAJOR improvement over strings 'n springs 'n funky things, homey looking case assemblies that are rather a pain and time consuming to do prototypes of...some I've seen pics of look pretty cool...still it's alot of machining work that could much more easily be done 'en masse'.
 That's my 2 cents, [unless my math is off...lol].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

sir_modulus

http://www.washersusa.com/stockf.html

:icon_mrgreen:

Edit: For those wah cases....if we all put together an order, I'm sure we could get a run of custom ones done etc... then go from there?

mojotron

I would like to be able to get Fulltone 3pdt switches and Hammond DD enclosuers from the same source as everything else.

I've used lots of the Taiwanese enclosures and the Taiwanese B/BB enclosures are great, but in the DD size I like the Hammonds better than the Taiwanese DDs, although the Hammonds are a lot more expensive. Same thing with the Fulltone switches, a lot more expensive, but higher quality.

Also, I would love it if Steve could find an enclosure source for something like the Fulltone enclosures used on their fuzzes - those would be perfect for most effects and heavier duty than the LMB enclosures - I think those would be a big hit.

bwanasonic

The transformer for the Titan Boost (mouser# 42TM006 20KCT/1KCT) would be nice…

Kerry M

BDuguay

'Small Bear should carry...'
... on, for as long as possible :icon_biggrin:

petemoore

First things first...
  'Small Bear should carry...'
... on, for as long as possible
  Agreed.
  these are suggestions, only.
  I only ramble on about it because there appeared an opportunity to do so here, and if anyone would listen to them, it would be a bear !!!
  They sound like good suggestions, but I haven't tried sourcing stuff, [beyond looking at what's available in the catalogues] ... so that's that.

jmusser

Yes, I second that, about the wah shells, since there has really been no way to roll your own. You either have to make one from scratch, or gut one out. I believe he'd sell a HUGE amount of just those alone. I know there has been request after request on the forum for a source. I believe what AMZ (Jack I believe) was talking about, is a box that would accept your finished pedal, so you could store it, or take it to gigs without getting the paint wrecked. I know I asked him to stock a CMOS 567 once upon a time, but he was way too constricted at the time. Absolutely, Steve should transistion and all that, but I know that he knows, that the items we're talking about here have been on our wish list for a long time, and that's all this thread is. I believe he's wanting to expand, and be a true "one stop shopping" business for DIY. If we don't tell him what that means to us, he won't know. That's how he got started in the first place, Correct?
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Dragonfly

Quote from: petemoore on October 16, 2005, 10:43:03 AM

blank cardboard boxes that are the proper size for 1590B and 1590BB pedals..for packaging?

pete,
 i get boxes at staples ...they have a pack of small boxes (iirc, about 3.5 x 6 or so) that fit hammond 1590b and 1590bb housed fx quite nicely. its a few bucks for 4 or 5 boxes, not too expensive, and theyre nice white cardboard, not the brown stuff. they also sell bubble pack "bags" in sizes that fit the standard hammond boxes.
  hope this helps,
    andy

formerMember1

Quoteblank cardboard boxes that are the proper size for 1590B and 1590BB pedals.

When i built my first pedal,(rangemaster) i built it in a hammond 1590B cardboard box, as close as possible to the real hammonds.
I didn't know what trouble i was gonna run into when building my first pedal so the cardboard worked great,  but i perhaps i could have used a plastic enclosure for beginning. 

Then i used my cardboard pedal as a model to build my second rangemaster, then i could just remove the jacks and switch, and pot and LED from the cardboard pedal for spare parts.

Or,
I could just leave it "together" for a tester for Rangmaster biasing, since i could just use alligator clips to clip to the terminal strip to find out what value biasing for different transistors, and also be able to hear different transistors to find the "good" ones  (kinda like a breadboard, but not really)

only reason this works for me is because i build them on a terminal strip and it is harder to do than a pc board, as far as finding biasing resistors since you can't add and remove parts on a terminal strip when it is glued in a small hammond box. 

sorry for rambling on,  ;)

Dragonfly

Quote from: formerMember1 on October 16, 2005, 12:18:55 PM
Quoteblank cardboard boxes that are the proper size for 1590B and 1590BB pedals.

When i built my first pedal,(rangemaster) i built it in a hammond 1590B cardboard box, as close as possible to the real hammonds.
I didn't know what trouble i was gonna run into when building my first pedal so the cardboard worked great,  but i perhaps i could have used a plastic enclosure for beginning. 

Then i used my cardboard pedal as a model to build my second rangemaster, then i could just remove the jacks and switch, and pot and LED from the cardboard pedal for spare parts.

Or,
I could just leave it "together" for a tester for Rangmaster biasing, since i could just use alligator clips to clip to the terminal strip to find out what value biasing for different transistors, and also be able to hear different transistors to find the "good" ones  (kinda like a breadboard, but not really)

only reason this works for me is because i build them on a terminal strip and it is harder to do than a pc board, as far as finding biasing resistors since you can't add and remove parts on a terminal strip when it is glued in a small hammond box. 

sorry for rambling on,  ;)

never thought about a "mock up"...i just use the boxes for shipping the pedals :)

StephenGiles

...........metal washers instead of white plastic ones.........................really?...........................I would like ICs to be red!!!!!!!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

phaeton

Smallbear should carry....

....headache medicine (or some nice Lager) for Steve while he moves everything to the new place (pictures! pictures!).

"This was supposed to be a hobby"

Btw, i thought that the plastic washer was all about protecting the finish on the enclosure.
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

The washer should be 15/32", not 1/2".

The 1/2" washers fit loosely on the shaft of the dpdts and you need to center it, with 15/32" it fits perfectly.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

zacharybroyles

The Tone God

petemoore

Â ....headache medicine
 There are lots of these, and the individual needs to find the one that's right for him or her...
 As for the  "Prescription' though..."tilt your head back, use a funnel, and a bottle of Tylenol", add as necessary...lol.

RickL

Nuts and washers for just about everything - large and small pots, 1/4" and 1/8" jacks, 9 volt adaptor jacks, toggle and stomp switches.

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: The Tone God on October 16, 2005, 02:06:55 PM
Stomp-box wine ?

Andrew
Ahhhhh.... Last Thursday was a very good year.  :icon_mrgreen:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation