Small Bear should carry...

Started by amz-fx, October 16, 2005, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenPen

Err, just to clarify, I wasn't trying to be a jerk up there. Damn, I really need to get used to the whole "you will come off sounding like a jerk on the internet" thing and figure out how to phrase things right.

formerMember1

QuoteI really need to get used to the whole "you will come off sounding like a jerk on the internet" thing and figure out how to phrase things right.

I am still learning how to phrase things right.   :icon_wink:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: phaeton on October 17, 2005, 11:33:53 PM
Or should I just STFU and buy stripboard/veroboard? 

Since you ask...... why, yes! :icon_biggrin:

Dave_B

Quote from: formerMember1 on October 18, 2005, 06:57:31 PM
QuoteI really need to get used to the whole "you will come off sounding like a jerk on the internet" thing and figure out how to phrase things right.

I am still learning how to phrase things right.   :icon_wink:
It's a constant struggle for me as well.  formerMember1, if your we're saying that for my benefit, it's totally unnecessary and I didn't take it that way.  If I'm mistaken and you weren't talking to me, then I've just given the appearance that it's always about me.  ;D
Help build our Wiki!

petemoore

I think the reason we chose Small Bear to pick on, is because we think it's cool :icon_cool:.,
  : [ :icon_neutral:]
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

phaeton

I think the reason we chose Small Bear to pick on, is because we think it's cool icon_cool.,

I forced Steve from smallbear to exchange emails with me once.  He's a helluva cool guy, i gotta say.
Speaking of which, i'm out of ge diodes so I can't wait for him to get settled in the new crib...

I really need to get used to the whole "you will come off sounding like a jerk on the internet" thing and figure out how to phrase things right.

I've especially gotta watch out for this because I've got some totally dry, deadpan sense of humor.  It backfires on me enough in real life, and on the inet i can alienate people really really quickly if i'm not careful.

punks.
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

PenPen

Quote from: phaeton on October 18, 2005, 09:21:17 PM
I've especially gotta watch out for this because I've got some totally dry, deadpan sense of humor.  It backfires on me enough in real life, and on the inet i can alienate people really really quickly if i'm not careful.

punks.

Yep. I learned I can't deliver a joke like most funny people, so I've mastered deadpan. Backfires on me ALL the time.

Mark Hammer

Well at least you won't get punched out.  Better to offend folks 1000 miles away and then say you're sorry than to offend someone in front of you who outweighs you by 50lbs, has 20cm more bicep circumference, and 10 more beers in him. :icon_lol:

What Steve doesn't mention much here are his commercial clients.  Though he strives to provide service to "the little guy", and treats it as a point of honour to support the very community that got Small Bear up and running, ultimately it is the commercial clients that subsidize the larger operation.  Not unlike record labels, I suppose - the big name acts provide the revenue that lets you take chances on the up and coming.  In this case, it is the revenue generated from providing large demand components to commercial clients that subsidizes the purchase of low-demand inventory.

Though he has help with moving, and filling orders, and once in a while with responding to e-mail, in essence it is still largely a one-man show.  Steve is CEO, CFO, CIO, purchasing agent, communications officer, and R & D all rolled into one.  If he's on the phone, covering one ear and yelling so that a Chinese distributor can hear him, then he's not filling orders.  If he's working on the interface or updating the stock list, then he's not responding to e-mails (and he's not filling orders).  Worse, if he IS responding to e-mails...then he's not filling orders.  And of course, if he tells Judy that he's starting to feel a tickle in the back of his throat, and she feels his forehead and tells him to take the damn day off, sit in bed, have some soup to wash down the vitamin C, and THEN go back to work, or if he has to fight NYC traffic to pick something up (like, say, more shelves or bins to put all that new inventory in),...he's not filling orders.  I'm not trying to be an apologist for him.  I just suspect that folks accustomed to dealing with much larger outfits who have separate floors or even buildings for processing orders, organizing inventory, accounts receivable, etc. might have a tricky time imagining the concrete details of what goes on when an order gets placed with an outfit of that size.

Here's a corporate motto for ya, Stevie, boy:  Small in size, big in inventory, and even bigger in heart.

1wahfreak

I sure hope Steve isn't thinking that we are demanding better service, better products and better prices for free. The old saying that we have three choices - cheap and fast, good and fast, or cheap and good but we can not have all three at one time. I certainly don't want him to think we are bitting the hand that feeds us and being way too picky. Often times we get used to getting something and then start demanding that we get more forgetting that we never had it so easy.  :icon_wink:

formerMember1

QuoteformerMember1, if you we're saying that for my benefit, it's totally unnecessary and I didn't take it that way

Nah, i just meant that i have more trouble writing things into words than saying them verbally out loud.  I was just chiming in.  ;)

Dave_B

This is going to end up in a big group hug, isn't it?   :icon_smile:

For my part, I just placed my first order with Steve today. I didn't know what to expect on turnarounds and was trying to set my expectations appropriately.

I love you guys! ;D
Help build our Wiki!

opik

Mr. Steve Daniels is good source for buying, i'm buy from him las month, his providing good service well done Mr. Daniels!
i hope he can cut price those 3pdt swithes ;)
Akhmad Taufik - Indonesia

phaeton

Wow, i didn't realize that Steve had corporate customers....

I guess I'll withhold the "when we see steve here we need to tell him to get back to work" jokes for now, eh? ;)

Well said, Mark Hammer... well put and well meant.

no one ever

bc109b's! 1.24$usd at wah-wah.co.uk , possibly 50 cents here in the states...
(chk chk chk)

amz-fx

QuoteNow to your requests:
--The metal washer for the 3PDT is on my list.

Very thin and chrome plated like the washer on 1/4" jacks...

:icon_lol: -Jack

phaeton

Hey now, some of us have nickel plated jacks on our guitars ;)

trjones1

Smallbear should carry filtered, high current wall warts.  Maybe both 9v and 18v.  I wonder if the economics of this would work?

Nasse

cheap but plentiful cap assortment
  • SUPPORTER

Coriolis

Dug this up once more...

How about those LED/photofet(H11F3) optocoupler things from the Neutronfilter?
Steve has a lot of those expensive opto-devices in the 5-10 dollar range, but these are cheap!

Oh yeah, and I second the Thomas Henry stuff, especially the Clangora Hihat project (what if someone could do the pcb's for his projects on license? Tonepad? GGG?)

C
Check out some free drum loops and other sounds at my site: http://www.christiancoriolis.com

no one ever

Quote from: no one ever on October 21, 2005, 01:00:24 AM
bc109b's! 1.24$usd at wah-wah.co.uk , possibly 50 cents here in the states...

and tropical fish caps! love that mojo.
(chk chk chk)