Green ringer volume

Started by funkyfox, October 16, 2005, 03:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funkyfox

I have built a Green Ringer Clone (ggg) and i wonder if anybody knows ho i can get a higer volume in the pedal when its not bypassed, i have understand that this is a common problem with the green ringer, i am gratefull for all proposal i can get about mod's that can solve the problem.

Chris

petemoore

The last Green Ringer, I'm using, is about unity...I like it with something on it like Fuzz anyway though...
  You can mess with the 47k [bigger] between output and ground maybe 100k or something...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Hal

i dont really understand, do you want more or less out of it when its on?

for more, try a boost in front of it.  Simple NPN (beginners project) should do the trick.

if you want less, but a pot on the output.

funkyfox

Hi, i want more volume when its on, the volume its  higher when it's of, i can certainly  add a bost in front of it, but my wondering was if someone know how you can modify it.

Chris

petemoore

Quote from: funkyfox on October 16, 2005, 05:30:03 PM
Hi, i want more volume when its on, the volume its  higher when it's of, i can certainly  add a bost in front of it, but my wondering was if someone know how you can modify it.
  You can mess with the 47k [bigger] between output and ground maybe 100k or something

Chris
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Stevo

Yes just add a jfet booster right on the end of it... Now add a volume pot.....You should know a jfet booster i hope like a fetzer valve on rungroove.com.....Look at other jfet boosters some use different values for more gain etc...Look at the doubleD and look at the jfet booster on the front of the cmos chip....add this to the end of your ringer that is what I did has gain now....... ;D
practice cause time does not stop...

Dragonfly

...LPB style boosters also sound good with the ringer...  :)

soggybag

I was thinking about building a Green Ringer and I had it in my head that I would replace the 47K on the output with a 100K audio pot set up like a volume. It seems this would be very easy. Maybe 100K would be too high you might try 50K or 10K. I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work.

Processaurus

There's an easier way.  you can increase the gain some by adding a resistor and a capacitor.  The first transistor stage has a gain of about 3, I found if you attatch another 6.2K resitor to the emitter, and then add a 10uF cap in series with that to ground, it doubles the gain.  You could try a smaller resistor, like 1k for even MORE GAIN.  The cap is so the DC biasing doesn't change. 
Theres a schematic of this for a mod I made at General Guitar Gadgets:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/green_ringer_filter_mod_sc.gif 
Just look at Q1's emmitter and you'll get the idea, you don't need the switch and the filter section  (outlined in green) if all you want is more gain.  Just tie the (-) of the 10uF cap directly to ground.

I do recommend inserting the filter part if you happen to like how the green ringer sounds with your tone knob turned down, but you don't want to be fiddlin with your tone knob in the middle of a song.  It  makes the octave a lot cleaner with neck pickups.

Make sense?

funkyfox

Thank's Processaurus.

Im gonna try this asap, i will be back with a report.

Chris

funkyfox

I have tryed the mod that Processaurus suggested, and it worked exellent, a big thank's .

/Chris

Hal

cool :-D

do you get a more pronounced effect, or just more volume...?\

funkyfox

Hi,

It just put up the volume, as far i can hear.

/Chris