New Looper Design

Started by Jaicen_solo, October 26, 2005, 02:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbiemcm

Alright, I've decided I'm going to go ahead and get the bits to build this. Slacker obviously has a switching scheme that works, and I figure by the time I get around to building it myself we will have at least one finished version. It'll also be easier than anything out there, and I know where to get help directly from if I have any questions.

Also, when browsing on futurlec it appears as though I have the choice of 60, 90, or 120 sec chips. the 90 and 120 are both $10.51 but the 60 is $11.90  ... why would the ones with more recording time be cheaper? Is there a loss in sound quality for these ICs? And does the P at the end of ISD2560P mean anything that I have to take not of, or will that chip be fine.

Robbie

nelson

I still have all the key parts for this in my bins, waiting for it to be verified. I had given up on this and was going to do my own design. But the momentum is building again, so I will wait.

I think I got the 120 second chip.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

bond

mmm i've given up ...
decided i will sell something and buy a really good one like an rc-20 or jamman
i think building a pt80 and univibe should keep me feeling good inside for the next few months

really want to be able to overdub ...
mmm i could build two of these an hook them up together, but buying one that has voice in it + save loops mmmmmmm (reverse to me just sounds ugly)

robbiemcm

I'm sticking with, I don't really know any place you would be able to buy a looper like this. Other than ZVex, but that's like $500 and I expect I would get this right before the 5th time round building it, and end up with a similar product. Minus the awesome painting.

bond

A.S.P.

E-H 2880 Multitrack Looper (scroll down)
or 16 Second Delay (scroll down further...)
Analogue Signal Processing

bond

mmm in all the reviews i've read, the jamman is rated superior until the boss RC-50 comes out ....
the eh16sec is more catered to the studio

robbiemcm

The JamMan is so bulky it looks like it's basically a computer that you're feeding your guitar into, and I much prefer building stuff myself. The path is clear for me, I'm sticking with this one :D

bond

for what it can do, its terrible small, 17cm*14cm
considering a 1590bb is 9.4cm*12cm it really on doubles in width
99saved loops something like 6hours of recorded tracks
overdub, reverse, can do guitar+mic+aux at the same time.

the only thing that will beat it will be the boss rc-50 but thats a whole pedalboard.

robbiemcm

I think I'll get the 60 second chip, I don't see how the ones with more storage time can be cheaper unless they sound worse. I'd look at the data sheets to find some differences but I have no experience reading them and have no idea what to look for, nor what they would mean.

ethrbunny

What are the chances of PCBs being made?

Do any of these designs let you turn on / off the playback without starting a record cycle?

IE play -> record/play -> play + playback -> play -> play + playback

does that make sense?

--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

slacker

Not quite sure what you mean but here's how it works. You've got 2 switches play/record and bypass.
Play/record switches between play and record so if the unit's playing and you press the switch it starts recording. If it's recording and you press the switch it plays back what you've just recorded.
The bypass switch is true bypass that also stops the unit when it's bypassed. So if you want to stop playback you press the bypass switch, when you press the bypass switch again it engages the effect and starts playback from the start of the loop.  You can also change play/record whilst it's bypassed.
I'm thinking of adding a toggle switch to give a mode that wouldn't stop the unit whilst it's bypassed. The loop would carry on playing in bypass mode, but you wouldn't hear it. Then when you engage the effect the loop would be playing where ever it is in the cycle. This might be quite useful for more ambient sounds.

ethrbunny

On the cheesiest level - imagine the chorus to a song. Angels weeping, cherubs singing, etc etc. You have pre-recorded this magical moment in your looper. You only want it to play during the chorus and then hush up. You want a switch to start the playback from its beginning. The same beginning every time.
--- Dharma Desired

slacker

yes it will do that, the starting at the begining part that is I don't know if it will manage choirs of angels :)
basically put it in play mode, then press bypass which puts the loop back to the start and bypasses the effect. Then when you want to kick in the chorus press bypass again and the loop starts from the begining. At the end of the chorus press bypass again the effect shuts up and the loop goes back to the beginning.

ethrbunny

Niiiiiice. Will it keep looping indef or just 1x?
--- Dharma Desired

Jaicen_solo

Well, by definition it has to loop to be a looper ;)

It would be quite easy to add a switch that will pause the looper at any point, allowing it to resume at that point. From memory I think you have to take the CE pin high for pause and low for play, but i'd have to check the schem to be sure.

ethrbunny

Ok. Ive been wanting to build one (another) of these. I have 2 of the 120 chips and lots of the parts still stuck to my semi-functional Gurutheta box... not to mention a nice box that needs to be used. I can track down another few sockets and give it a whirl.

EDIT: where is the latest spec for this new(er) design? Sounds like its still in the mod phase.
--- Dharma Desired

robbiemcm

If a circuit designer had a lot of time on their hands could they make it be able to record over the top of one recording by using two chips, and simply playing one and combining its output and the guitar into the other one?

puretube

The Tone God

Quote from: robbiemcm on March 12, 2006, 12:12:22 PM
If a circuit designer had a lot of time on their hands could they make it be able to record over the top of one recording by using two chips, and simply playing one and combining its output and the guitar into the other one?

Its possible but it will not be very smooth. Remember that tick at the end of the loops ?

Andrew