question about grounding...

Started by jordya, October 27, 2005, 01:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordya

I have been looking over the layouts for various stripboard pedals. I am confused about the ground connection. Some of them say to go to the volume lug 1, or sometimes volume lug 2 or lug 3. Others just say ground and do not tell you where to go. Some of the layouts show the gorund being connected to the input and output.

I guess I'm asking where I should connect a ground when all the layout tells me is "the bottom right hole on the stripboard is the gound". Is there a universal setup for ground connections, or does it vary from pedal to pedal?

petemoore

Using metal box and In/Outputjacks, verify they all connect to jack sleeves.
  Run a wire from one of them to the circuitboard ground. run all other grounds from that point, I use solid core wire on the board mostly for this, flexible wire through a 'stay' [usually threaded through a drilled hole in the board], for offboard ground connections.
  To find the correct lug for ground on a volume pot, looking at the shaft with the lugs facing the floor, turn the control CCW, that left lug will adjust the signal path [wiper] directly to ground, does not pass output or collect 200$, it's shunted to ground.
  The unsofar mentioned lug is signal input to the pot, the *wiper is signal *output, the ground is ground, move the *wiper toward input and that's more of what it 'sees', *moved toward ground it sees less and less of the input [a 10k pot will attenuate a little bit by itself], but more importantly whatever signal the wiper 'has' begins to get shunted more and more as it nears, then 'touches' ground, where 'nothing' happens....no output.
  Ground is lug 3 or 1, I never sorted out the numbering [lol], if these lugs are reversed, CCW rotation makes louder.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

formerMember1

edit***
nevermind, figured it out.  :D