Top Gear Fuzz shcematics and pics?

Started by leonhendrix, November 02, 2005, 07:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonhendrix

Does anyone have a schematic or pics of the circuit for the Top Gear fuzz.

I saw one on ebay and it made £336 so im curious as to whats inside.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7360983924&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT

leon

MartyMart

I had one, until a year ago - I swopped it for a "Mercer Box" with
Jacques, for his collection !!!  (  www.ts808.com  )
Shit, didn't realize that it was worth THAT much !!!!  :icon_eek:
It was my first ever "pedal" from 1975 ( I was 13 )
Wooden box, covered in tolex with "foil" lining, it was a "Fuzz Face"
type circuit, using AC128's - may have been a "tag strip" setup.
It sounded like CRAP !!!!
Very thin and "buzzy" and absolutely NOT worth that kind of money.
Perhaps it's "provenance" gave it some value, as a "Fuzz" I thought I
did well swopping it for something worth about £110, which sounds FAB
I may have an "inside" shot somewhere ......

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Martys-layouts-and-photos/Top_Gear_Fuzz

Looks like my AC128 memory was wrong, some kind of metal can BC***
transistor .....  or 2N2222   ?

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

MartyMart

As you can see, 9 volt + goes to circuit from battery and - is normal ground !
So NPN silicon for sure  !
2 x trannies   .. BC***
4 x resistors  ?
4 x caps ....... looks like 2 x 0.1 a 10-47uf electro and a small ceramic roll off cap ?
Early silicon "FF" perhaps ?

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

alteredsounds

lol just bought one from ebay for £67 if you still want any info?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7370598383&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

3 knob version interestingly.

MartyMart

Quote from: alteredsounds on December 05, 2005, 03:25:50 PM
lol just bought one from ebay for £67 if you still want any info?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7370598383&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

3 knob version interestingly.

Seems like you got a deal !!
I'd love to see the circuit traced out, if you have time, I'm sure it's just a "FF" version ..

Marty.

leonhendrix

i put a bid on that one, i was going to bid more but i was to lateit. I havent had any emails saying i had replys to this thread so ive only just seen it. Since i started this thread i have managed to get photos of the top gear fuzz circuit and i got a photo of the top gear fuzz/sustain circuit.

The fuzz/sustain does use an ic, looks like C741C, the top gear fuzz looks like silicon ff to me

leon

alteredsounds

I thought I read it was put together by the Macari lads across Tinpan Alley? if so i'd guess its gonna be similar to some Colorsound stuff.

alteredsounds

The Top Gear fuzz/sustain arrived a couple of days ago and it is awesome.  To be honest I had bought it to add to the collection and as usual gave it a quick run-through.  I put it through a Marshall DSL100 with 2 4x12 cabs and it ROCKED!  Dirty, growling and warm but the tone of the guitar carried through beautifully.  I'd have to say that it is one of the most perfect pedals to use with a Marshall that I have tried, including all the usual colorsounds, vintage muff's etc.

I will photograph all the bits and tracks and get component values.  Not sure what the C741C is or does or what a modern equivilent is? 

This def deserves cloning!

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

alteredsounds

lol yep i shoulda spotted the obvious 741 clue :)

petemoore

If the odds are good enough, I put the money on DIST+, at any rate, :icon_rolleyes: probably, the 741 'adds' Dist...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

alteredsounds

Its kinda similar to the Dist+ and Ross Tan Distortion but much warmer.  It is tamer at full settings, I'm using it into the clean channel on the Marshall with the boost off and the pedal at full and it has a wicked 'crunch' to it.

Maybe its the combination of the C741C and the big metal can germaniums?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Thanks for the pic Marty, that's a cute battery holder!