3 or 4 octave up square wave ??

Started by markusw, November 04, 2005, 06:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markusw

OK, this is what I came up with so far. The 1/2 sawtooth oscillator is stolen from the Ring Stinger's VCO (including Q5 and Q6). C5 was increased to fit the bass frequency range.
So far all results are just from simulations. The circuit is fed directly with a 0/12V 50:50 square wave.

Although the circuit seems to work, the sawtooth wave's amplitude unfortunately gets smaller with increasing frequency since c5 is charged less and less with increasing frequency. Thus, adding the square wave to the sawtooth does result in an octave up sawtooth only at the lowest frequency I tweaked the circuit for (31 Hz). The output after the final comparator is a nice octave up square but only for 31 Hz.

At the moment I don't have any idea how to avoid the sawtooth amplitude drop with increasing frequency.

Any comments are highly appreciated :)

Regards,

Markus

gez

I finally understand what Mr Funk-On was mooting (thanks), and my understanding is you'll need some sort of feedback/auto-gain circuit to keep amplitude of the sawtooth stable...though I should imagine, as with most side chains, there'll still be a slight delay.  Probably not noticeable with one octave up, but perhaps it will be with the amount of octaves you're aiming for?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

TELEFUNKON

like in a lowpass, the voltage that charges a cap through a resistor sinks at the resistor/cap node
with rising frequency;
take care, that the charging voltage increases, as the frequency rises.

There was an article once, in a european electronics magazine for constant sawtooth from square, 28 years ago.

(there`s another way also).

A.S.P.

what`s that talk about the rumour of a new proprietary wavebending disto-chip?
Analogue Signal Processing

PacoPicoPiedra

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.