Vox Clyde McCoy Wah, build report,... Any ideas for Hendrix wah tone?

Started by formerMember1, November 09, 2005, 09:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerMember1

yeah, that looks like my wah, same hookup wire too,..just not as messy, even though yours isn't that messy,..I am surprised that mine sounds so different than yours,..could you post a sound clip or not?  I can't get a soundclip yet, i can't find my digital recorder, it is at my other house,....
AT the moment, i would rather use a GCB-95 stock wah, cuz mine sounds that bad,...almost unuseable,...but i think i will fix that when i swap material parts,...

THat board looks pretty big in physical size, did you scale it differently?  My board is at least an 1/2 inch on each side, and at least an inch from the jacks,...it does look like you you used the same layout as me,..fuzzcentral's?

thanks for posting,...

formerMember1

I removed the rubber stoppers on front of wah(already removed the back one), i also removed the felt pad, and i also had to readjust the 3pdt many times to get it just right, i think the wah sounds WAY better now, the sweep is so much better now, way more CLyde like, the next clyde i build, i will use a Vox enclosure definitely,

Remocing the bumpers makes a huge difference in tone to me, thanks fretwire, and  no one ever, for advising me about the vox shell being longer throw, and no one ever, for telling me about your experience of removing all the stoppers,...this is my favorite mod by far,...

I didn't get parts yet, i'll update on that when i get them, but i think i am finally going to get the tone i want, it sounds like it gots potential now,  :D

no one ever

wow, did that hookup wire ever give me problems. kept snapping off in the holes! resoldered them mannny times...

is the 3pdt shorter than the carling? if so, then more travel.. = more fulltone clyde-like... = better tone. cool! (although not much credit to m.f. for being creative...)

yeah, i took the layout and scaled it to 50%, checked to make sure the inductor fit on the printout, and it did, so i settled for that. judging by the pictures phillip b. had put on the page, i knew it was a bit bigger. how did you scale yours? if i left it untouched the picture was huge.

you're welcome, formerMember1! this was a great learning experience for me, i hope it was the same for you.

i'm introducing my creation to the band tomorrow.. i'll try to post clips later.
(chk chk chk)

formerMember1

yeah, i like it better now,..

I used a program called printkey, that paul marossy pointed me too, it works great, is very easy to use, and is very low file size,...i scaled it to 30% of original size, but i would make it a tiny bit bigger next time,

is the wire belden hookup wire?  Mine is and cost $20.00 for 100ft spool, it has a plasticy insulation, doesn't melt from an iron, is copper stranded, and is silver coated, i don't like it, and should of used different colored wire from smallbear or something,...this wire is so hard to strip, it takes me so long to strip the wire, and then it is iffy, because the wire breaks from stripping it too hard, stripping tools won't work, i have to use diaganal cutters to cut the insulation off,...i just don't want to waste it,...

I guess i should just fork out 20.00 bucks to smallbear for some different color wire, but keep wondering if this wire is better becuase it is silver coated, not just plain copper,...we'll see,....

yeah, i have many parts from mouser to try, .22uf caps and .01uf caps of three diffferent materials and by three different companies, and it is not a waste, because if they are all good, or sound the same, i will be building another wah and just use them,,...plus carbon comps, and fish caps to try the MOJO,... or just to say i have them,...  :icon_lol:,  but hey, come on i want to have fun too,...

no one ever

stripping was a pain too.. i got 25/26 awg from smallbear by mistake, next time i'll get a bigger gauge. mine was around 10$, i believe. silver coated? sure it wasn't pre-tinned?

keep us up to speed on your mojo experiments! we love to learn.
(chk chk chk)

formerMember1

yeah it is silver coated, it says that right on the spool,...I bought it on my first order to mouser in my life,
It is 22awg, next time i would go with 24 or 26, it isn't that bad, but i would rather something else,..(it is way better than radio shack wire,..)

On the spool it says ideal for refigerators, washers, and other appliances as used as hookup wire, where strength and high temp stability is needed,... whoops, i guess i could throw this stuff in the fireplace, and it won't get damaged,... :icon_lol:

a soldering iron won't melt it either,...unless you hold it there for over 5-8 seconds, directly on it, then it starts too smell a little funny/bad...

formerMember1

i got the fish caps today, they are too big for my layout, and when i tried to bend the leads, i could tell they are gonna break off, so i am just gonn wait till i get my "other" caps, and then i am gonna find out the spacing i need and build a new board,...

I got (4) BC108C transistors, i was gonna use them for a silicon fuzzface, they measured 407 hfe 435hfe 418hef 413hfe, i tried every combination available, and i ended up using a 418 in Q1 and a 407 in Q2, i tried the 435hfe for high gain, but didn't like it,...the pair i chose sounds way better than my BC109B's, the 8's are more midrangey and a little more vomity vocal,...reminds more of Jimi's tone,...

i think the other transistors i orderd off mouser will be better yet,...i hope,...

these fish caps look neato, but the leads are very poor, they look like they are gonna just fall off, if i try to use them,...oh welll, i am still glad i got them, i feel like a little kid looking at the colors,...  :D

Dai H.

try not to bend right at the body/lead connection, otherwise you could crack it at that point. For mine, I seem to enjoy it more since I put in the red Dunlop Fasel.  :icon_cool:

formerMember1

after further playing, i have decided to leave the stock R's (470ohm, 1k5 100k vocal etc,..) it sounds way  better with these BC108C's, way more human vocal midrangey quality, i absolutly love the wah now, plus increasing the sweep range by removing all rubber stoppers and felt pad, also did the trick,...I don't know if it was the hfe increase or the different type tranny, but i love it,...it does seem that the wah sounds better with hfe around 400, when i went higher, it was too strong, and when i went lower it was too weak,...

i still have some more parts too swap,(WIMA caps, Carbon Comps,..etc) but if it doesn't get anybetter than this, i am well satisfied,....

finally it sounds like a clyde mcCoy wah,...sounds great with my strat for hendrix and my wolfgang equipped SD-59's for Page/Zeppelin tones,  ;D

Pedal love

Quote from: formerMember1 on November 28, 2005, 03:26:38 PM
these fish caps look neato, but the leads are very poor, they look like they are gonna just fall off, if i try to use them,...oh welll, i am still glad i got them, i feel like a little kid looking at the colors,...  :D
Ritchie, Try to put them in. If the leads break off, send me a pm and I will send you two compliments of me.pl

formerMember1

jeez thanks man, i will try that tomorrow, i gotta get some braid from Ratshack, to remove the caps that are in their tomorrow,
I'll let ya know what happens,...

:)

Pedal love

Quote from: formerMember1 on November 28, 2005, 08:14:04 PM
jeez thanks man, i will try that tomorrow, i gotta get some braid from Ratshack, to remove the caps that are in their tomorrow,
I'll let ya know what happens,...

:)

I'd like to hear what you think of them.pl

formerMember1

well this is my problem, i have to make a new board, becuase the leads of the tropical fish caps are too big for the pad holes in the board, and the fish caps have a wider spacing then the holes in the board, so it would be impossible to try them, plus i have many different caps from mouser on order to try, and also 1/2 watt carbon comps, and am gonna wait till i recieve them, to make sure i make the next board correctly sized/drilled for fish caps, and other mouser parts,..and not have to make yet another board,

my mouser order isn't even placed yet, i have it saved in my project manager, but waiting till i am sure everything i want, plus i just added parts for a Ge Fuzzface,, but i will probably place order by the weekend at the latest,... and get order by nexy friday or so,..

but i will post up my results, on what resistors, caps, transistors, are the best,,(i have about $50.00 worth of caps, transistors and resistors from mouser to try, against my current parts/fish caps,...  :D

formerMember1

hey guys,

What are some songs that Jimi used a Ge fuzzface and Vox Clyde Wah on? I just wanna make sure,....

I also really like his tone on BBC sesssions voodoo child and sunshine of your love, that is great tone,...

EDIT: Did he use the Axis Face on any of the electric ladyland tracks, or only from Axis album on....

no one ever

i've always thought that when he comes out of his little guitar monologue and kicks into gear on "voodoo child (slight return)" he leaves his wah at full treble and turns on the fuzz. it sounds that nasal.
(chk chk chk)

Pedal love

I would have to agree that Voodoo Chile(slight return) is a prime example of a Vox wah into an Arbiter fuzz face into a Marshall.

warioblast

"Voodoo Chile Intro and Solo based on the VOX Clyde McCoy Wah pedal, brown Fender Bassman amp and an EMT plate reverb"

that's from digitech Hendrix pedal add http://www.digitech.com/products/HendrixPedal/Hendrix.htm

formerMember1

yeah i always thought it was emt plate reverb, ge fuzz, clyde, and bassman,...

thanks for the replies  :D

What is the difference between the picture and signature wahs?

I heard that Fulltone and Teese model after the picture wah, given fulltones site, and the name of Teese's wah.  The arielFx halo is modeled on the large Halo indutcors of 67, and the stuart castledines are modeled after the small halo from clyde wah,..

SO, does that mean that a fulltone inductor will sound different than a ArielFx/stuartcastledine? Anybody ever compare halos?

no one ever

Quote from: formerMember1 on December 01, 2005, 12:34:16 AM
yeah i always thought it was emt plate reverb, ge fuzz, clyde, and bassman,...

thanks for the replies  :D

What is the difference between the picture and signature wahs?

I heard that Fulltone and Teese model after the picture wah, given fulltones site, and the name of Teese's wah.  The arielFx halo is modeled on the large Halo indutcors of 67, and the stuart castledines are modeled after the small halo from clyde wah,..

SO, does that mean that a fulltone inductor will sound different than a ArielFx/stuartcastledine? Anybody ever compare halos?

do the qualities of an inductor go beyond its mH rating?
(chk chk chk)

formerMember1

yeah dc resistance and ferrite material, no one knows the EXACT ferrite compound in the original halos, except for Teese, which he says on the analogman site i think,...