Installing a Transistor

Started by Easywider, April 11, 2007, 06:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easywider

New To the board & just had a two questions about transistors . Building a Rangemaster Clone & wondered which way to install the OC44 into a Millmax TO- 5 socket , also , will you harm anything by installing it incorrectly & powering it up  !

Thanks !

Ge_Whiz

Quote from: Easywider on April 11, 2007, 06:00:41 PM
New To the board & just had a two questions about transistors . Building a Rangemaster Clone & wondered which way to install the OC44 into a Millmax TO- 5 socket

>>Look up the pinout for the OC44. One wire is spaced slightly further apart from the other two - this is the collector (may also be indicated by a red dot on the case). The middle one is the base.

, also , will you harm anything by installing it incorrectly & powering it up  !

>>Only the OC44, probably terminally.

Thanks !

Easywider

Thanks , any way to check the transistor to make sure its o.k. , would it be audible if it was bad , have no multi testers etc to check things , when i powered it up yesterday , i think i might have had the pins incorrectly installed , glad i have a spare but would like to use this one if i can .

Easywider

going to try it anyway , from what i understand , either it will work , or it wont , right ?

petemoore

I don't like subjecting Ge's to Reverse polarity.
  Get a DMM with a transistor HFe checker, figure out what the numbers kind of look like using transistors, then you can stick the Ge in different ways until you get a 'likely' hfe reading, this determines the pinout.
  Another way is to look for the B/e diode in the transistor using the DMM's diode checer, the diodes will be oriented inside there a certain way [I forget, haven't done this lately, there should be info somewhere..maybe a data sheet?] .
  IIRC the AC 128's have an 'arrow' in the former where the leads come out, the middle lead is offset, and 'points' toward the output, as envisioned from above, while in the circuit board...and in the DMM...and in your hand, 'seeing through' the top of the transistor, the offset pin pointing an 'arrow' to your right puts the emitter pin nearest your gut, the base in the middle and the collector farthest away.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

momo

"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."