Yet Another Fuzz Face Circuit - Some Questions

Started by mrmrcoleman, November 25, 2005, 06:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmrcoleman

Ok, I am attempting to build Jack Orman's Yet Another Fuzz Face Pedal (www.muzique.com/lab/yaff.gif) but I am relatively new to all this and I need to understand a few things before I go on.

1. I completely do not understand the wiring of the DPDT switch, this is not how I though a DPDT switch worked and it has me confused, could anyone shed some light?

2. This is more of a general question about the output from the guitar (input to the circuit) and how it is affected by the various capacitors.

I assume that the voltage coming out of the guitar is AC and is oscillates between about -100mA and +100mA. Is this correct?

If so then I am unclear as to what happens at C1 in the diagram. When the input voltage is below 0v the capacitor will start to charge and a current flows into the base of Q1, which is then amplified by the 2 transistors and is output, right?

Then when the input voltage comes above 0 does the electrolytic nature of the capacitor no longer allow current to flow so that the ouput voltage from the curcuit is squared off above 0?

Am I correct in saying that C3 is basically a high pass filter in conjunction with R2?

Assuming what I have said above is correct (which I doubt it is! ???) then I don't understand the purpose of C2 at all. Is this something to do with isolating the AC voltage from the DC source? If so, I completely don't understand why this is necessary and how it works...

A massive thanks for any help with any of these questions.

Mark

Bernardduur

1. This is a different way of DPDT switch wiring on wich you can have one "free" lug that you can use with the millenium bypass. Now you can burn a LED and use a normal DPDT switch. The "jumper" transfer the sound to the other side of the switch so with this the "upside" is wired for the effect, the downside for the clean or bypassed sound.

Try it. It works!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

mrmrcoleman

Aha! I think I understand now... That's pretty smart.

Any help with the rest of the question anyone!?

Thanks,

Mark

mrmrcoleman

Thanks guys. I think I am going to a rebuild and triple check as I go. Plus I now have an awesome audi probe so I can test as I go!

Mark