Boss Dimension C chorus

Started by Jaicen_solo, November 28, 2005, 10:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

Looks like a quadrupple chorus, or double dim C.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Processaurus

Quote from: puretube on December 20, 2005, 03:12:59 AM
X-mas riddle:

which commercial product is being described here ?

(btw: fig. 2(2), 2(3), 2(4) and 2(5) show the painful endeavour (sic!) how to overcome transitional problems in time-domain circuits,
similar to the problem in the latest looper thread ).

Those were wild days of analog.   I wonder if there's a problem with phasing when the two pitch shifted signals are at the mid point in being crossfaded? 

SeanCostello

Quote from: Processaurus on December 20, 2005, 03:57:56 AM

Those were wild days of analog.   I wonder if there's a problem with phasing when the two pitch shifted signals are at the mid point in being crossfaded? 

From having developed such algorithms in digital, the answer is, you bet!

Early pitch shifters, and simpler pitch shifters to this day, implement this simple form of overlap/add. I call it "dumb" pitch shifting, as there is no attempts to find a good splice point in the signals. This produces a fairly strong comb filtering effect, which is less noticable with small amounts of pitch shifting (as in the Roland patent), but becomes more noticable with higher amounts of pitch shift. Later pitch shifters used complicated pitch tracking algorithms to find the optimal splicing point - basically matching up the phase of the signals to be spliced in order to have the minimum amount of phase cancellation.

Another solution is to use windows with less overlap, so that the signals only overlap for a short period of time. This results in less phase problems, but can create a herky-jerky effect in the output, as the signal rather abruptly crossfades between different delay times.

Sean Costello

puretube

Quote from: puretube on December 20, 2005, 03:12:59 AM
X-mas riddle:
which commercial product is being described here ?
(btw: fig. 2(2), 2(3), 2(4) and 2(5) show the painful endeavour (sic!) how to overcome transitional problems in time-domain circuits,
similar to the problem in the latest looper thread ).

this one is easier... 

Doug_H

Wow, I guess I'm late to the party here but anyway...

I've recently upgraded my setup to stereo and have become intrigued by the idea of the Dimension C "motionless chorus", esp after hearing the soundclips at modezero and seeing Scott's work with it. I don't have the time for a project of this complexity and I was curious about some of the other ideas that were suggested wrt to detuning and etc which are available in other units.

Does anyone have any experience with the Boss PS-5 "Super Shifter"? It is primarily a pitch-shifter/harmonizer but it has a "detune" function on it, stereo ins and outs and so forth that I thought might make it a decent candidate for this type of sound or a "reasonable facsimile thereof". There's a soundclip available here: http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=22

To me, the clip sounds a little "plastic" in a way, but I don't know if that's the unit itself or just due to the myriad variables involved in clips, guitars, computer spkrs, etc. I will see if I can try it out at the store, but it sounds like it may be on the right track for the kind of "stereo enhancement tool" I'm looking for.  I have a couple stereo choruses, but I'm kind of excited by the idea of this sort of expansion of the stereo field without the pitch wobble. I also use a delay in stereo (sparingly - for a few Edge/Gilmour style syncopations) but it seems like a little delay goes a long way before it starts sounding like "Karaoke night on the cruise ship". :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks for any feedback,

Doug

MartyMart

I have the previous version PS-3 and I love it !
It also has an "expression pedal input" for more wierdness
Pitch shift detune/delay etc all great, if you dont mind the "sterile" digital
quality ....  :icon_wink:
Worth checkingout the "5" for sure, not sure of the difference ?

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Doug_H

Thanks for the feedback, Marty. Knowing that you like it makes me even more interested in it.  :)

I would guess the PS-5 is "this year's model" with more bells & whistles.  Not sure how much I'd use the other effects but I suppose it's one of those things you find uses for the more you play with it.

Re. "digital" effects: I've already polluted my signal chain with other digital effects, buffered "false bypass", and to top it off a SS amp for one channel. One more won't make a difference - I'm already a vintage enthusiast's nightmare... :icon_mrgreen:

Doug

MartyMart

I just checked out the details at -  www.bossarea.com
Great info BTW
The PS-5 is much more of a pitched based effect, my PS-3 has some of that
plus a DD-5 digital delay on board, up to 2 seconds delay :D

There you go,

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Doug_H

Thanks, Marty. That's a cool link.

Doug