Your most used or favourite OpAmp(s) ?

Started by Steben, December 02, 2005, 10:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

I would like to know you guys' thoughts on IC's.

Ones we almost all know:
RC4558 - KA4558 - ...
TL071-72-74-...
OP275
NE5532
LM308
OP07
741 (lol)

rail-to-rail low costs (for LFO's):
TLC2262
ICL7621

Is there any useful expansion possible of mine/our OA vocabulary? Experience?
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

R.G.

General purpose: TL072 - This amp is so cheap, widely available, and good performance that other opamps have to prove which I should change

High audio performance: LM833 - designed with high performance audio in mind, and works really well in critical applications

Higher voltage: JE-990 discrete opamp

Yet higher voltage: LM3886

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

MartyMart

Ones that I'm using more these days are :

Burr Brown OPA2134A
Texas Instruments RC4559p
Panasonic NE5534/5532 AN, suck more juice though !
LM358 and LM833

General everyday stuff, TL072/TL071 and the lowly 741 !!

There are subtle differences, but hard to hear once your OD is "cranked"  !!   :icon_wink:

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Johan

I'm with R.G on the TL072..
..and favorite small powerampchip...LM1875...good enough for the audiophooles to pay around 1500$ for two of them with power supply..( google for Gaincard )...

johan
DON'T PANIC

Paul Marossy

The TL072 is a good one, I have used it a lot. I also like the JRC4558D in some circuits. The NE5532/5534 is also a handy one, low noise, great specs - hard to beat for a well-rounded opamp.

GFR

I like the CA3140/3240 because it can work with the inputs below V-. The output current capability is assymetric though.

The LF357 (not frequency compensated) is OK for high frequency stuff.

I liked the LM11 for HUGE input impedance applications (discontinued).

Dave_B

Quote from: Johan on December 02, 2005, 11:07:05 AM
..and favorite small powerampchip...LM1875...good enough for the audiophooles to pay around 1500$ for two of them with power supply..( google for Gaincard )...
"If you have more than one input, you can ... utilize 47 Laboratory's $720 passive Model 4707 Input Chooser"

That's incredible.  I am so not an audiophile.
Help build our Wiki!

puretube

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

PT beat me to it with the LM324, for some reason everything I proto with these seems to work :icon_smile:

puretube

:icon_wink:
wanna try the new low power version, soon - anyone experienced with those?

zachary vex

i just got a pair of these:

the opamps i use most are 1458 and OP275, but i've used the TI rail-to-rails with great success in some experiments and of course TL072s from time to time.

Roberto

LM833N. I use it for almost everything in audio.
[

petemoore

OK...what could be better than a TL062 for low current applications?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Zach, from the tube #'s I can read I'm guessing those are 12ax7's, but what are these devices...
  Direct drop in replacements for '?' [which] tube #?
  What are the performance advantages?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Alex C

Quote from: petemoore on December 03, 2005, 02:13:13 PM
  Zach, from the tube #'s I can read I'm guessing those are 12ax7's, but what are these devices...

It appears to be a tube opamp.
http://www.triodeel.com/images/gaprk2w1.jpg
http://www.triodeel.com/images/gaprk2w2.jpg

You can't go wrong with a TL072.  I'm a fan of the NE555 for all kinds of tinkering and projects (outside of the effects realm).

zachary vex

Quote from: petemoore on December 03, 2005, 02:13:13 PM

i wish they were drop-in replacements for tubes!  that would be interesting... they are actually Philbrick tube op-amps, the first op-amp ever made.  here's one link:

http://www.eet.com/anniversary/designclassics/opamp.html

A.S.P.

type "philbrick" into this forum`s search-field...
Analogue Signal Processing

Transmogrifox

I'm a big fan of the LM358, (and LM324 quad version).  I bought a batch of 358's and have used them mostly for utility circuits such as control voltage level shifters, DC amplifiers, precision rectifiers, LFO's, and a little in the audio path, though I can tell the difference if I have several opamps in a processing unit when I swap them with MC33078 or OP275.

So...my final builds use these for all audio processing (still with LM358 for utility stuff):

MC33079 (MC33079 quad, also)
TL074
OP275  (for filters where the higher slew rate makes a quantifiable difference)

I really like the OP275 in my Vox V810 (TS-9 circuit inside, for those of you who have missed those posts).  I have never bothered to find out why it makes the subtle difference it makes, but I can detect it...though I do side with those who contend that on a loud stage I wouldn't be able to determine the difference between my modded Vox, and the un-modded OD in a blind test.  It was fun to play with and have at it with the soldering iron. :icon_biggrin:
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

cd

I like LM324s as well for non-audio stuff (since I can get them dirt cheap), for high quality audio not so much IME since they're prone to some weird sort of distortion which is impossible to get rid of.  In that case, I usually use NE5532s since again, I can get them cheap. 

741s rock for distortions and anything high gain.  Bandwidth my ass!

redeffect

for "must have minimum noise" input stages: 5534A,OP27, MAX427(pricy: but i got some samples from them. nice people.)
drives,distordions:LM324, 741 (when someone says its outdated:i tell them its "retro")
bearing in mind that even the lowest op amps can be no advantage in an improperly designed circuit. (and sometimes in a properly designed one.)  i say play around with them all; and trust your ears. they are the true judge when seeking your own unique sound.

red

the sound resounds around the icy waters underground...