Your most used or favourite OpAmp(s) ?

Started by Steben, December 02, 2005, 10:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

Most useable Low power chips are rail-to-rail CMOS ones like TLC2262 or ICL7621. ICL7611 is single amp.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

MartyMart

Quote from: cd link=topic=39563.msg282798#msg282798 date=1133670253
741s rock for distortions and anything high gain.  Bandwidth my ass!
/quote]

Absolutely  !!
I've had GREAT results from the "good 'ole 741"  !!  :icon_twisted:

BTW, when would TLC2262's be a good one to use ... "rail to rail" ?

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

ErikMiller

CA1458, the older the better. Same with the 741.

Those low slew rates sound good to me.

I'd love to know about a dual version of the OP07....

H S

TL071 - TL072 - TL074.

Running on +9v, I've found these can swing closer to V+ than to ground.  I use a 10k/12k divider to make Vref = 55%V+, instead of the usual 50%V+.  Although it usually doesn't matter.

Phorhas

I see that most ears are in tune :)

well my preferences aren't that differant:
I realy like thet tighter sound of NE5523 and LM833. the TL072 is another favorite of mine and so is the TS271 (thanx J. davisson).

I'm soon to experiment with some Burr-Brown, whifh I hear great things about.

the LM386 is cool when little noize maker need to be made :)
Electron Pusher

Paul Marossy

Quoteand so is the TS271 (thanx J. davisson).

That's a CMOS opamp, isn't it?

Phorhas

Yap. It has a cool feature - current set lug that let's you dial you own dynamic "feel" - pretty sublte but handy
Electron Pusher

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Phorhas on December 04, 2005, 05:26:56 PM
Yap. It has a cool feature - current set lug that let's you dial you own dynamic "feel" - pretty sublte but handy

I have a few of those chips. It would be interesting to build something with them. The only thing I have ever used them in was Joe Davisson's "Amber Boost".

Steben

Quote from: MartyMart on December 04, 2005, 06:55:12 AM
Quote from: cd
741s rock for distortions and anything high gain.  Bandwidth my ass!

Absolutely  !!
I've had GREAT results from the "good 'ole 741"  !!  :icon_twisted:

BTW, when would TLC2262's be a good one to use ... "rail to rail" ?

Marty.

LFO's and so on to enlarge the sweep. CMOS like all rail to rails I guess.
  • SUPPORTER

Steben

Quote from: Phorhas on December 04, 2005, 05:26:56 PM

Nice. Competition for the 741. Although very low slew rate should sound very dull I guess.
  • SUPPORTER

Ge_Whiz

TL062. Got a bunch of them dirt cheap a couple of years ago when visiting the States.

Steben

Quote from: Ge_Whiz on December 05, 2005, 05:33:21 AM
TL062. Got a bunch of them dirt cheap a couple of years ago when visiting the States.

They are nice as cheap mefi low-power chip. You can use 4 of them (= 8 amp stages!) with the same current draw as a FF!
Although the CMOS rail-to-railers (most are also low power) are better for lower slew rate if that makes sense.

- Had a look at the LPV358. 15µA!!! current draw and rail to rail. Yet noise is 5 to 10x higher than regular chips. If they are cheap, could be very good LFO-ers too.

- TLC2252 from texas instr. is also a nice fellow.
2262 <---> 2252
12nV <----> 19nV noise
0.55V <---> 0.12V slew rate
0.25mA <-> 0.04mA current draw
  • SUPPORTER

WGTP

I currently have a 2262 on the bread board and the distortion got noticably bigger and louder when it replaced a TL052.   :icon_cool:   
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Steben

Quote from: WGTP on December 05, 2005, 03:35:02 PM
I currently have a 2262 on the bread board and the distortion got noticably bigger and louder when it replaced a TL052.   :icon_cool:   

In a good way then?

I just recieved a sample package of 4 TLC2262's and 4 TLC2252's from TI. Man, they were quick. ordered friday, recieved monday. I mean: I live in Europe!
  • SUPPORTER

pyn

I used to use LM3900's (quad  741 package) when I was building pre-amps and distortion circuits.

WGTP

I can't really say the 2262 sounded better than the TL052, just that it got notiably louder.  I was experimenting with Mosfet clipper and I didn't want the op amp distorting a lot so I thought the R to R feature would be good.

In a diode to ground distortion, the op amp contributes lots of distortion too and that may be why they sound different, the ratio of op amp to diode clipping.  Thinking along the lines of a Rat with the LM308 having a low slew rate, the 2262 seems to meet the need.  I haven't tried a 2252 yet.

TI is great for that.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

phaeton

I haven't done much with OpAmps.  But I *have* had a ton of fun with the LM386 here and there.  I recently threw together an 8W amp out of an LM383 but I only had 9V to power it with so it was kinda crummy.  Hopefully it'll be more exciting with 18V or so.  I've been looking at the TL082 a lot lately.  I've got about a dozen of them and from what I can tell they're a decent unit, but I haven't discovered why they're not used much.  I've got a few designs in my head I'll try with them.

Haven't played with the 741 yet, but I can't believe how many people trashtalk it.  Noisy, crappy circuits are cool too!  This is what we're doing, guys... intentionally injecting noise into our signal  :icon_twisted:
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: pyn on December 06, 2005, 11:10:01 AM
I used to use LM3900's (quad  741 package) when I was building pre-amps and distortion circuits.
It's worth mentioning that the LM3900 isn't a normal op amp at all (it's a Norton difference amp) and, the pinout is the weirdest bullshit I ever saw (nothing like any quad 741 variety).
It is true that the LM3900 is a quad, though!

phaeton

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on December 06, 2005, 07:31:32 PM
Quote from: pyn on December 06, 2005, 11:10:01 AM
It's worth mentioning that the LM3900 isn't a normal op amp at all (it's a Norton difference amp) and, the pinout is the weirdest bullshit I ever saw (nothing like any quad 741 variety).
It is true that the LM3900 is a quad, though!

I went and looked at the datasheet just to see what you were talking about, and it's some weird bullshit indeed!
Stark Raving Mad Scientist