No Clone Zone

Started by H S, December 07, 2005, 02:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Quote"unwanted clones" is the only thing I can contribute...

can you explain, please.
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

J.

I seriously doubt that ANY diy is making ANY company loose money. Specially because people who buy DONT build and people who build DON'T buy (90% of the time).

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

nelson

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.com on December 08, 2005, 03:16:57 PM
J.

I seriously doubt that ANY diy is making ANY company loose money. Specially because people who buy DONT build and people who build DON'T buy (90% of the time).

Fp

I build and I buy.

I am more prone to buy pedals that I deem "worthy" though. I mean if its more cost effective for me to build it, given my time and resources, I will build it. If its an "original" idea, or not really cost effective to build, I will buy it.

For example, I spent a long time cloning the EHX Echoflanger, from a pcb image file posted by stephen giles. Once I finished the "Clone" documentation, I decided to forego building and verifying my efforts to buy a vintage polychorus(same pedal). I may get round to building one, one day.

Another example is I bought a flanger hoax, because I deem the pedal "worthy" of my hard earned cash. Purely because its an original idea and offers an effect it would take me many many years of tweaking to achieve. Perhaps has something to do with the fact that puretube designed it aswell.  :icon_razz:

DIYERS do buy pedals, when they CANT build them. Or when its not worth their while.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

QuoteDIYERS do buy pedals, when they CANT build them. Or when its not worth their while.

That's why we should be able to build 100% of the pedals that exist.

aron

I LOVE buying pedals. I mean, how many quackers (Filter pedals) do I need? I never use em! However I still bought the Mini Q tron.....

I LOVE the LOOK of pedals which is so ironic that I don't even paint my pedals. I need to start checking out my forum for how to make my pedals look nice.  :'(

A.S.P.

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.com on December 08, 2005, 04:33:14 PM
QuoteDIYERS do buy pedals, when they CANT build them. Or when its not worth their while.

That's why we should be able to build 100% of the pedals that exist.

http://www.behringer.com/VP1/index.cfm?lang=ENG

ooops - just noticed it became a price-shifter
and a time-domain toy  :icon_surprised:

( and mistook above quote for:
Quote"That's why we should be able to buy 100% of the pedals that exist"
)
Analogue Signal Processing

MartyB

QuoteTime for.....

DISTORTION MAKER!!!!!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/distmaker/DistMaker.html

LOL!  I wish I could make flash objects.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Actually, a pedal has some toy qualities, not that it should be a cheap toy. Have you seen the prices for some "toys" lately!

Fp

A.S.P.

here`s a nice toy for people taking time to read, like Stephen, Mike, Seb., Sean, Scott, a.o.  :icon_wink:, but plz don`t burn your fingerz!

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

A.S.P.

Quote from: puretube on December 08, 2005, 02:59:38 PM
btw.: it happens to happen,
that a lot of  those "mods", that are being err, newly invented for commercial products,
have all been on the designer`s bench long before, but discarded with when a new product hits the market, due to economical (or other*) reasons...

sure happens to be re-cloned commercially, too, afterwards:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=39784.0

MartyMart

Hmm, this thread is becoming a little "annoying"
Have a word with "Behringer" about the 200 + "Clones" they seem to keep making AND SELLING BTW
for LOTS of profit ...before having a "pop" at this little DIY community.

Without "clones"  "mods" etc etc it wouldn't exist, just check out how many folks ask :
"How can i mod my DS-1 to make it better" ( in a squeaky child like voice )  .... EVERY week  !

grrrrr ....

MM. :icon_eek:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

aron

Quotehere`s  a nice toy for people taking time to read, like Stephen, Mike, Seb., Sean, Scott, a.o.  icon_wink, but plz don`t burn your fingerz!

THIS has been released by Yamaha. Exactly that, in trumpet form.

nelson

Quote from: MartyMart on December 08, 2005, 07:08:18 PM
Hmm, this thread is becoming a little "annoying"
Have a word with "Behringer" about the 200 + "Clones" they seem to keep making AND SELLING BTW
for LOTS of profit ...before having a "pop" at this little DIY community.

Without "clones"  "mods" etc etc it wouldn't exist, just check out how many folks ask :
"How can i mod my DS-1 to make it better" ( in a squeaky child like voice )  .... EVERY week  !

grrrrr ....

MM. :icon_eek:

Hey, that was me back in March.

I knew NOTHING, I still know next to nothing, although I can tweak, (not meth).

I started one of those "DS-1mod threads" for my first  thread, and it devolved into a slagging match between torchy, cd and the indyguitarist guy.
Mr Snowberg was very nice as usual, and I could only appreciate his advise in hindsight.

But that question has allowed me to get to the level I am at now, competent enough to clone pedals, design circuit boards (take a look at my Clone theory) and tweak, modify and design a little bit.

To a newbie, this place is both welcoming and scary, what with the very specific "netiquette" and complex relationship between the interests of the average DIYer and the business entities who frequent the forum.

This thread highlights those and ofcourse is part of the ongoing "ethics" debate that we face about "clones".

I dont see it as a "pop" at this community, as this community is in a way, constantly having a "pop" at itself.

Which ofcourse is a great thing, accepting the status quo is not the culture of a good productive community.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

MartyMart

Sorry nelson, I just see a "DS-1/SD-1" question repeated about twice a week and it's
getting a little tiresome  :icon_rolleyes:
If that's what got you going, then its a good thing :D
I just wish the "search" function was used ....... once  !
I buy and build stuff, so I've put my share of "Dosh" into the
hands of many pedal companies and "boutique" guys too , if I have
time and can do it, I'll "clone"
If the "clone thread" is bugging someone too much, then aron will remove
it anyway I guess .... !
peace,
MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

brad

I don't have a problem cloning any pedal for personal use.  If you have the skills...more power to you!  It's like making your own homebrew.

Ethics only come into the picture when you're selling pedals imho, and that has nothing to do with me.

A.S.P.

B*hr*nger has burnt his fingers!
(didn`t you grasp the sarcasm behind that post? they introduced an identical looking cheap clone of a "vintage" pedal a year ago... someone knocked on their fingers...they procrastinated the availability from quarter to quarter...announced price has almost doubled since).

At least they gave the "ghost" a new name  :icon_eek:

Concerning that trumpet: stumbled across it by accident yesterday, (just before the word "toy" was mentioned here), seeing that it has some interesting new techniques in the field of Pitch Detector, Fundamental Extractor, and Envelope Follower.
This is very educational for a few regulars here, but should be dealt with the neccessary care, because it is under protection.

tweaker

Hello all.  Going back to the original question I'm curious as to what is the 'no clone zone'?  I would guess it means no copying pedals currently in production or at least no posting schematics of them; but I'm guessing.

Brad

Mark Hammer

Yes.  Making one for yourself in a nonpublic way is one thing, and posting schematics that make it easy for people to feel like it is open season on that product is another.  It's like talking to a master chef at your favourite restaurant and finding out some cooking secret they use.  One thing if you do it for yourself or company and don't tell anyone.  Quite another if you publish the secret in th the National Enquirer.

spudulike

I copy whatever I feel like copying. They are only for my amusement, and I generally mod them to bits anyway. I dont post schematics, and the pedals themselves are largely unlabelled. Every time I R.E. a pedal I learn something - sometimes its electronics, sometimes its a better way to wire-up, or lay-out a pcb, sometimes its in the paint/finish. I dont sell them or give them away, and like I said I dont leave them stock.

Would I buy the originals ? Yes - but only the ones I like as stock (eg my Seekwah, Hotcake), as Id be very reluctant to rip an expensive original to bits the way I do my clones. Im lucky that a close friend owns a good music shop and I can usually borrow anything that he gets in.