Would the GGG modable wah benefit from a power supply filter?

Started by audioguy, December 07, 2005, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguy

I see that wah power supply filters are the thing to do on crybaby's and the like, but I just built a wah from GGG and it sounds great. How would I benefit from adding this filter to the unit?

Thanks!

Audioguy

formerMember1

if you are talking about a  power supply filter capacitor(100-220uF to ground), then i think you only need that with a power supply, not battery powered.

It makes the wah less hummy,...hence filter cap,...filters hum from wall outlet that is inherent in all wall outlets,...

no hum with batteries,...

audioguy

Yeah I was plannig on using it with an adapter not a battery. At bedroom levels it sounds great. i havnt played much louder yet, but will be next weekend. So I guess I should go ahead and put it on.
Can I just put that cap directly on to the + and - of the adapter, or is it best on the board?

formerMember1

there isn't a difference if you mount it on the board, or "point to point" it, for board mounting you probably need a radial cap, but you would need a board that has a space for it, an Axial cap would be easier to "poin to point" wire it in.

Put the filter cap directly across power and ground. For positive ground pedal, put the cap - to power and + to ground. Reverse for negative ground circuit....I think that is correct.

QuoteCan I just put that cap directly on to the + and - of the adapter,

I think you would want to put the cap on ground and the power wire, not the adaptor jack lugs,..unless you have one of the adaptor lugs to ground or something,....

Sorry, maybe someone else will chime in,...

PS:if you email GGG, tell him exactly what wah you built, and ask him about it, tell him you don't know how to, and he can tell you exactly how to do it,..he always helped me,... 

then post up the result,  :)