Tube-o-philes: be afraid, be very afraid

Started by Mark Hammer, December 15, 2005, 06:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puretube

johngreene

Quote from: R.G. on December 16, 2005, 10:51:18 AM

The real question is in the economics.

The way I understand it (WRT tube manufacturing) is that the process involves toxic chemicals much like the plating industry uses. I live in California and my wife used to work for a diecast/plating company (they used to make the zinc cast hot wheels). The chemicals involved mean that a company like that could never be 'started' today. They exist only because they existed back in the 50's and 60's when regulations weren't so stiff and they are grandfathered in. Since most tube manufacturing plants have been shutdown, it is pretty much impossible to 'start' a new one. So, that is why the intense interest in the plants that still exist with the fairly new interest in tube amplification. Sure they can probably come up with a 'better' way of making a tube but it wil never have that special 'mojo' the old tubes have!

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

Pedal love

It could be done. It would take someone with the balls to stand huge loses at first, but it could be done by a company in the US with factories in maybe Mexico and I am somewhat seriously looking into it.pl

fikri

Well, i hope it wont happen to jj's factory !  :-[ (are you still there bob ?!?  ;D)

Peter Snowberg

I feel very badly for the 830 workers that stand to be affected by this, along with however many people from/with EH that will also be affected.

One thing that I think keeps getting overlooked is that CRTs are tubes too! That would make Japan one of the largest tube producers, but as we know they are not building audio tubes (at the moment). Regardless of the tube type, there are certain elements that will remain the same in all tubes of similar construction.

I keep wondering if the rise of LCD monitors and TVs will create a bunch of surplus tube mass production equipment? Image a Sony CRT line being shifted. I wonder if we'll we ever see aperture grill grids? They do have the technology down pat. Also, Korea is another big tube producer we seldom think of.

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Hal

Unfortunitely, this doesn't surprise me from what I learned about the post-soviet russian ecconomy.  At least its not really the mafia in charge anymore, or Matthews probably wouldn't have a factory to worry about anymore.  He's going to have trouble doing things the legal way, I suggest paying off the power company.

gez

Quote from: johngreene on December 17, 2005, 02:36:30 AM
Sure they can probably come up with a 'better' way of making a tube but it wil never have that special 'mojo' the old tubes have!

Might have some new mojo though... :icon_lol:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Quote from: Hal on December 17, 2005, 01:23:27 PM
Unfortunitely, this doesn't surprise me from what I learned about the post-soviet russian ecconomy.  At least its not really the mafia in charge anymore, or Matthews probably wouldn't have a factory to worry about anymore.  He's going to have trouble doing things the legal way, I suggest paying off the power company.

From what I gather, under Russian law if your house is destroyed by fire you lose ownership of the land it stands on.  As a result 'developers' have been burning down peoples property, to the extent that some families are holding 'vigils' over their houses to prevent them from being destroyed by these criminals.  Same thing happens to factories too apparently (gulp)...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

JimRayden

http://www.vacuumtubes.net/How_Vacuum_Tubes_Work.htm

Okay, scroll down and there's some info on tube production. That should be enough to get me started.  ;D

-----------
Jimbo

guitarhacknoise

this list makes me believe that there really is nothing to be worried about, except for Mr. Matthews and his workers:
http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/tube_makers.html
"It'll never work."

Clipped

Quote from: guitarhacknoise on December 18, 2005, 04:27:53 PM
this list makes me believe that there really is nothing to be worried about, except for Mr. Matthews and his workers:
http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/tube_makers.html

That's what I was wondering when the original article stated there were only TWO other full time tube manufacturers  ???
Although some on the list don't seem to be guitar related, I knew there were other factories such as St Petersburg, Sino tubes from China and a plant in Yugoslavia at least.

Looks like a definate crappy "hostile" takeover attempt, but here in the good 'ol USA, the SCOTUS decided it was ok for cities to take your home and give it to other individuals just to get more tax revenue (At least once congress was smart enough to listen to the people and pass legislation in an attempt to take all federal money from such "transfers").
To Each His Tone.

puretube

Quote from: puretube on December 16, 2005, 04:40:20 AM
another serious threat is the RoHS thing...

THANK YOU, Mike
for shouldering the tremendous efforts and investment
of being able to supply us with compliant tubes!!!

puretube

Quote from: puretube on December 16, 2005, 04:30:21 PM
In Mike I trust !

Thank You,

Hartley Peavey,
Fender,
Korg,
Vox,

for standing like a Wall-of-Rock
behind Mr. Matthews and his contributions to the music world!

brett

Hi.
So who makes tubes these days?
There used to be 3 chinese factories, but there might only be 2 left (Peking Valve Co, Shanghai Valve Co, one other ??), Ei in what used to be Yugoslavia, 3 in russia (JJ, Svetlana, Sovtek/EH ??).  Or are JJ and Svetlana the same?
Anybody know for sure?
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

puretube

JJ is a Slovakian company,
lead by a nice tube veteran bearing those initials,
who rescued/took over (?) the "state"-owned company
formerly known as "Tesla"
in former Tchechoslovakia
from going down the drain, when communism faded away.

WGTP

It seems there are 2 main bodies of thought about tubes and it varies depending on what your selling. 

If your selling NOS, the new tubes don't measure up spec or sound wise.  The processes and chemicals are not the same.

If your selling new tubes, they are just as good as the old ones, with improved production methods.

Having lived thru the "got to switch to solid state because there aren't going to be any more tubes period," in the '70's, I guess we ought to be glad we have some of both.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

tubes

Check this thread out.  Before you get too excited.

http://www.hoffmanamps.com/Forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1134092279/4#4

This is the best tube forum on the web.  If you ever have a question about tubes this is the spot but remember to  search there database and read the library before posting.  Some of these guys are insane tube gurus if you can spark there interest they will post a three page spread straight up. Though you may only understand a 1/16 of what they are going off on it will be the 1/16 yoou need to know.

kris

ragtime8922

The scariest thing about this whole incident is the fact that Mark Hammer reads the Moscow Times!  :icon_mrgreen:
Kidding Mark, nice research as usual.

There is one sentence in that letter that should put everyone's mind at ease. The one that says "$400,000" in it. You can buy a tube FACTORY for under a half million dollars in Russia. Even though that was 7 years ago it's still a ridiculously low investment. EXTREMELY RIDICULOUSLY LOW!!! Keep in mind that it is about 1 million dollars to build and open a full line braiser Dairy Queen from the ground up.
Yes, that means on your way to work today you passed dozens of possible Russian tube factory owners.

puretube