Tube-o-philes: be afraid, be very afraid

Started by Mark Hammer, December 15, 2005, 06:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHouse

Yeah thanks Jack, I'm ok with those formats.

This article was a WM stream.

A.S.P.

Analogue Signal Processing

mjones99

puretube

soulsonic

I'm glad things worked out for Mr. Matthews. It's unfortunate that the same capitalism that made his business ventures in Russia possible are also responsible for incredible amounts of corruption and trouble for him.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

The Tone God

nightingale

For sure!
I am the tech at a well known full service music store in Boulder, Co.  We sell  Groove Tubes upstairs, but if you bring your amp in the basement for repairs/service. You will get the new line of EH tubes in your amp.

My experience in the field has led me to use the EH tubes almost exclusively.

I am a believer,
ry

be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Ben N

Quote from: soulsonic on August 12, 2007, 06:05:23 PMIt's unfortunate that the same capitalism that made his business ventures in Russia possible are also responsible for incredible amounts of corruption and trouble for him.
Nah, sorry, capitalism is an idea; neither it nor any other "ism" is or can be "responsible" for anything: people are. Those Russian "businessmen"/thugs are responsible for their actions, just as Mike is responsible for his success. Good on him!
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

Pushtone

Quote from: puretube on August 12, 2007, 05:06:13 PM
~one year later::

Thanks for the update Puretube.

Every now and then I've wondered how this was going to work out.
Thought it might drag on for years.
I hope Mike's Russian troubles are now settled for the long term.

Keep us in the loop! Thanks again. It's nice to have closure.

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

oskar

What happened in Russia is that they took the worst of what they had and combined it with the worst of western culture.
These guys are more like the real life version of Keyser Söze...
Russia has great potential though ( and so do we   ;)  ! )

jrc4558

Quote from: oskar on August 13, 2007, 11:59:26 AM
What happened in Russia is that they took the worst of what they had and combined it with the worst of western culture.
I would partially agree with you. But then again, such is the case in many countries where the government is corrupted to the same degree.

MartyMart

Quote from: Constantin Necrasov on August 14, 2007, 01:58:47 AM
Quote from: oskar on August 13, 2007, 11:59:26 AM
I would partially agree with you. But then again, such is the case in many countries where the government is corrupted to the same degree.

Oh yeah, it's not only the case in Russia, they are just not so "subtle" about it !
I was in Moscow recently for a couple of shows for a large bank/CEO's birthday - lot's of blokes with no hair and bulging jackets ....
The next day we had quite a few hours free before flying home so two members of the crew went into town.
They have the usual "crew" look - long hair/scruffy and dangling keys etc, they were pulled into a side street by a couple of cops ( ?? )
and were asked to pay €2000 as they didn't have the right papers  !!!
They fronted it out and insisted on going to the Police station to sort it out, after some minutes of threats and mumbling, the "cops" went
back to their car and drove off ........ the crew's morning in town was over but at least they got away without being ripped off.
People with less "balls" would possibly have paid money to be set free ..... they did have guns BTW !!  :icon_rolleyes:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

EdJ

In fact there was and will be nothing to worry about.
The average tube enthousiast has a back stash that would at least last the next 27 generations.
Ever looked into a tube lover`s closet?
There really is nothing to worry about.

Ed

soulsonic

Quote from: Ben N on August 12, 2007, 11:26:09 PM
Quote from: soulsonic on August 12, 2007, 06:05:23 PMIt's unfortunate that the same capitalism that made his business ventures in Russia possible are also responsible for incredible amounts of corruption and trouble for him.
Nah, sorry, capitalism is an idea; neither it nor any other "ism" is or can be "responsible" for anything: people are. Those Russian "businessmen"/thugs are responsible for their actions, just as Mike is responsible for his success. Good on him!
Ben

I don't think you got my point. If it weren't for that "idea" being introduced to the Russian economy, then Mike wouldn't have even been able to purchase a factory. And if that weren't possible, then this issue wouldn't have even come up. People were corrupt before anyway, but at least in a more "coercive" gov't system, it's a little easier to take action against wrongdoers (when they actually get caught!). When I think of corrupt gov't officials, I think of China and what they tend to do to their corrupt officials when they get caught. Of course there will always be corruption in any system, but it's nice to see guilty people get what's coming to them.

Quote from: EdJ on August 14, 2007, 05:38:40 AM
In fact there was and will be nothing to worry about.
The average tube enthousiast has a back stash that would at least last the next 27 generations.
Ever looked into a tube lover`s closet?
There really is nothing to worry about.

Ed

I am a fanatical tube enthusiast and I do NOT have a pile of tubes stashed in my closet. The only tubes I have alot of are ones I don't ever use or depleted ones that I can't bring myself to throw away.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com