News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

ZVEX Pedals

Started by jbm222, December 19, 2005, 02:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbm222

Does anybody know how a ZVEX machine works?  I sounds pretty interesting, but not like something I would use often enough to spend that much money for one.  So does anybody know how it works and/or where i can find a DIY pedal that does the same thing?

Also, does anyone know what he uses for the timing generator and switching mechanism he uses for the Seek-Trem & Seek-wah?  It seems like the would work by having a single filter with probably a few CD4066 to switch the pots in and out, then another timing chip that generates sequential control signals to switch the switches.  But what does he use for a variable rate low frequency timing generator?

smashinator

It seems to me that the Machine generates crossover distortion, with some filtering(?).  So basically, make a small class AB amplifier, then break it.   ;D  ***EDIT**** I meant Class B amplifier.  ***end edit***

There's a project (on GEOFEX?) that is a sequential stepper you could use to do something like a seek-whatever.  I can't remember what it's called.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Lurco

just sneeked in to ask, after knowing Z is sitting on a plane, not being able to monitor?
new ZVEX secrets

Paul Marossy

QuoteIt seems to me that the Machine generates crossover distortion, with some filtering(?)

I believe that Zachary mentions the use of crossover distortion in the demo video. I am quite intrigued with that particular offering of Z. Vex Effects.

The Tone God

As always the function is your friend.

For your first inquiry search for things like "crossover". Here's one little tidbit I found which may be interesting:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=37057.0

As for Seek/Ooh-like devices look up "The Vanishing Point".

Andrew