Patent Number for guitar pedals

Started by markphaser, December 20, 2005, 04:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markphaser

How do u get the patent numbers for guitar pedals?

Where would you get the patent numbers for like Electro Harmonix,MXR,ADA,Maestro,Boss,DOD,dunlop,Vox,colorsound?

If you type in the pedals name it doesn't get the patent i need to know the patent numbers to get the PDF files how
would i get the patent numbers for these pedals?

markphaser

Is there a website that just has guitar pedal patent numbers?
That will list the manufactors names and pedal names with the patent numbers

Because using the Patent search you have to have the patent numbers
If i type in the search fuzz face or MXR phase 90 or EH electric mistress i don't get the patent PDF file
so how do i find out these patent numbers for the pedal names?

bioroids

I dont think stompboxes can ever be patented, because they are usually just applications of standard circuits. Or they derive from previous patents (usually from the tube era) too.

Some may be though, but I dont think there is a searchable patent machine restringed to guitar pedals.

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

puretube

this forum is the greatest resource for finding FX-related patents...
( e.g. here: )

Mark Hammer

Some pedals may contain things that are patentable, but it is quite possible to produce pedal after pedal without ever requiring patenting of the circuit or any part thereof.  My guess is that there isn't a single Rocktek or Rogue pedal that has a patent number.

Also, consider that many pedals rely on well-known processes or concepts, applied in interesting ways.

Probably one of the best ways to stumble onto patents for a significant chunk of what is inside a pedal is to search by designer name.  For instance, I'll bet there are a couple of things under Mike Beigel's name or David %^&*erell's name, the same way there are multiple patents under Robert Moog's name or the fellow who founded Roland.

Paul Marossy

Searching by the designer's name is a good way to go, if you know the name of the designer.  :icon_wink:

H S

Quote from: bioroids on December 20, 2005, 07:15:46 AM
I dont think stompboxes can ever be patented, because they are usually just applications of standard circuits. Or they derive from previous patents (usually from the tube era) too.

Of course pedals can be patented; but, like anything else, they have to be novel and not an obvious variation on what's gone before, which, as you suggest, can be difficult.  So for most pedals there are no patents.

The trade name for a pedal will never be in the patent, but the patent number may be printed on the pedal.

To find pedal patents in a search engine, try searching the "inventor" field for "Moog" and the like, as Mark said, or try searching the "assignee" field for names like Fender and Peavey, or try searching the "abstract" or the whole text of the patent for "guitar", "fuzz", "electronic musical instrument", and combinations of words like that.  Also, the patent will cite other similar patents that went before, so look those up and also search for other patents that cite to the same prior references.  Also, there are technology classification codes that can be searched; a kind of a Dewey decimal system for technology.  When you find a relevant patent, serach the technology class and subclass numbers on that patent for other patents to similar technology.

markphaser

Do you guys know so pedal invertors names that i can search for please?

markphaser

Marvin Caesar and Curt Knoppel, the inventor of the Aural Exciter
Mike Matthews, founder of Electro-Harmonix, and Mike Biegel
The designer, J.C. Morrison, chose different attack and decay characteristics using LED and incandescent lamp drivers.
Howard Davis
Alfonso Hermida
Pete Cornish
dan coggins (co-founder and chief design engineer at lovetone
Brad Plunkett, ... A fellow engineer, Les Kushner,

Bore-inger

just copy