1N5817 diode equivalents ?

Started by junkyjunky, January 01, 2006, 10:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyjunky

Hello one and all Im new here so greetings first. Now, i was wondering if someone could tell if there are component equivalents for the Schottky 1N5817 diode as called for in alot of Tim Escobedo's projects. Thanks for the help.
trash is often friendly

LP Hovercraft

If your local electronics dealer stocks NTE stuff, NTE585 works.  The device is a fast switching Schottky barrier diode. 

The Tone God

You could use 1N5818 and 1N5819. They should have similar properties.

Andrew

junkyjunky

thanks i appreciate it very much. :icon_mrgreen:
trash is often friendly

junkyjunky

trash is often friendly

The Tone God

Quote from: junkyjunky on January 01, 2006, 11:41:48 PM
would a 1N4004 diode work ? :icon_eek:

The 1N4004 is not a schottky diode.

Andrew

Peter Snowberg

In lots of cases you can use a 1N400x in place of a Ge or a Schottky, but with reduced performance. This isn't always the case, but very often you'll find it works well enough to hear some results until you can get the "right" diode.

If the diode is used in a signal function you can also substitute a 1N34 or any Ge diode, with almost identical performance. If the 5817s are used in rectifying power, you'll need to get a 5817, 5818, or 5819. There are other Schottkys out there, but those three are the most popular ones.

Welcome to the forum. :)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I don't know what country you are in JunkyJunky, but in Europe there are some like BAT85 that are much more  common (I have several thousand that Erricson abandoned here in Australia). If you point to a specific cicuit, then someone will be able to say whether it will make a difference what diode you use. Mind you, some of Tim's things are so weird as to be beyond conventional analysis! I mean that in a GOOD way of course!

junkyjunky

Frostwave,
I'm in the U.S. and the design I'm working on is the LoFo MoFo. I thought it'd be an interesting first build seeing as im into noise and experimental music. I read up on schematics and parts codes and indentification etc. and of course all beginners faq's and building sites and I believe I'm starting to get the hang of it. So far I'd say the biggest thing for me is part equivalencies and schematic to pcb layout. I dont quite understand the role of individual components as far as their sounding affecting characteristics but I imagine its just a trial and error or experimentation process. Oh, and could someone tell me what kind of breadboard they'd reccomend getting for testing etc. Thanks one and all for your time and generousity with knowledge.
trash is often friendly

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Yeah, experimenting & using your ears, that is how it is done!
As for the lofo, using a different diode (eg the common 1N4148) won't stop it operating. Once you get it going, you can see whether a different diode is better or not (remembering, that YOU may want a different result compared to someone else). Good luck!!

lovekraft0

Mouser has 1N5817s on hand, if you want the real thing.

Steben

Most schottkies have same characteristics (cut off at around 0.4V), only power rating differs a lot. Same as with other diodes (si- ge-...) by the way.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Plexi

I have 1N5819.... which is the difference with the 5817 ones?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

waltk

1N5819 has slightly higher forward voltage drop and more tolerance to repetitive peak inverse voltage (40v vs. 20v)

For practical purposes - no difference.

You can read about it in the datasheet, which is usually the same shared datasheet for 1N5817, 1N5818, and 1N5819.

Mark Hammer

BAT41 and BAT46 work fine, where a 1N5817 is called for in clipping circuits.

Plexi

Thanks waltk and Mark

I'm using a 4007 here:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7j5VMPo4x8I/V_TluXFrWjI/AAAAAAAAESI/Cmcv3bAxWcoIbBWk3n7cZ8W-bmmZztzwQCK4B/s1600/Echoplex%2BPreamp.png

Should I replace for the 5819?
I guess there's no voltage drop to affect the overal gain/volume

Mark Hammer

Since it is being used as a protection against reverse plug polarity in that application, a regular 1N914, 1N4148, or 1N4001 will do just fine.  Pretty much any old silicon diode. 

One might be concerned that a Si diode subtracts more voltage from the supply than a Schottky type or Ge does, but it's only about 300mv more, so I can't see what the problem would be in not using a Schottky type.  If one was using a supply voltage higher than +9VDC, it would matter even less.

Plexi

Thanks Mark, as always.
I'll leave the 4007 there.