Simple Foot Switch

Started by dylanwatt, January 04, 2006, 08:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dylanwatt

I want to build a simple foot switch for use with a Zoom G2.1u multi effects pedal. I'd like to make clear that this is not to be a wah wah based expression pedal kind of switch. I have a good understanding of electronics as I study them as part of my degree course. However, being new to guitar related electronics I am unsure on the circuits used. Can anyone suggest the best kind of circuit I could use, a basic schematic would be useful. I'm not sure whether an uber simple of-the-shelf switch would work. Should I be using relays or any type of electrical protection? I just want something that will work but won't have any chance of damaging my beloved effects pedal. If anyone can help me please drop me an email or reply to this post, I will be extremely grateful. Thank you for your time.

Dylan

Mike Burgundy

What does the manual state about this?
I assume the hookup is made with a jack - not some kind of UTP-type cable such as Line6 uses. That's a whole different ballgame.
It is usual to have the ability to hook up either an external switch, an expression pedal, or both.
The switches (usually) come in two kinds - momentary (which are "on" only when you stand on them and off all the ret of the time) and latching (which switch to "on" whehn you stand on them, and stay that way until you stomp again). While momentaries are really popular these days, *if* there is a possibility of hooking up an expression pedal (=volume pedal!) as well, then often it wants a latching switch.

Take a small switch you have handy, solder it between the two terminals of a mono jack plug and see. If the connection is made with jacks it's safe to assume you won't harm anything since the device will expect a normal, straightforward switch.
If it switches everytime you throw the switch it wants latching. If it only switches half the time, it wants momentary.

Peter Snow

The hook-up is via a 1/4" jack on the back, according to the manual.  The "control input" will accept either the FP01/02 pedal or the FS01 footswitch.  The FP01/02 pedals have a stereo plug and the FS01 switch seems to use a mono plug.

According to Google: http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ZOO-FS01--brand-290.html

"FS01, Switching Type: Unlatch and Normally Closed"   

My interpretation: any momentary, normally closed switch would work.

HTH,

Peter

Remember - A closed mouth gathers no foot.