New at Topopiccione: Shin-Ei Octave

Started by Zero the hero, January 23, 2006, 05:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero the hero

Hi people!
I finally managed to build a working clone of this pedal.
I posted the layout and PCB on my site. It has been tested, and i works well. It features a nice octave down synth-like tone, and it seems way clearer than other analogue octavers. No ICs, just transistors!
Click on the oranges...

hank reynolds 3rd

Nice!!
I built one based on the colorsound schem (i think it's almost identical to the shin-ei) but get noise coming through also...might be a knackered pot i think

Bernardduur

Nice one! I've been searching for one a long time......

Thanks!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Marcos - Munky

Thanks a lot. I was still looking for a good octave down, now I think I found it :P.

Herr Masel

Am I the only one who can't get into the website?

radio

Thanks,clean octave down was often missed here!

Herr Masel,click on the small picture at the end of ZerotheHero s post!

Greetings JME
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Herr Masel

Quote from: radio on January 23, 2006, 09:04:45 AM
Thanks,clean octave down was often missed here!

Herr Masel,click on the small picture at the end of ZerotheHero s post!

Greetings JME

I did. I meant that it doesn't load. A little OT, is the famous shin-e fuzz an octave UP?

GFR

Quote from: Herr Masel on January 23, 2006, 08:41:31 AM
Am I the only one who can't get into the website?

At work I get this:

QuoteServer not found

Firefox can't find the server at topopiccione.atspace.com.

*   Check the address for typing errors such as
          ww.example.com instead of
          www.example.com
    *   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.
    *   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

But at home I can get the page.

Zero the hero

My host sucks, that's why sometimes my site seems unreachable...
People at ATspace said that they fixed all the problems and improved its service, but it seems that's not so true... well, they offer free space, an easy to remember url, and no ADS or banner for free, and instability of their service is the price to pay.

Herr Masel, this project is the octave down.
Have you got any info or shcem about the fuzz and octave up pedal you're talking about? I'me getting curious...  ;D

moosapotamus

Very nice work!

Is there any clean sound blended in, or does this output only the -1 octave down?

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Herr Masel

Quote from: Zero the hero on January 23, 2006, 10:07:41 AM
My host sucks, that's why sometimes my site seems unreachable...
People at ATspace said that they fixed all the problems and improved its service, but it seems that's not so true... well, they offer free space, an easy to remember url, and no ADS or banner for free, and instability of their service is the price to pay.

Herr Masel, this project is the octave down.
Have you got any info or shcem about the fuzz and octave up pedal you're talking about? I'me getting curious...  ;D

From fuzz guts: http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/fy2/fy-2schem.html I am not sure if it has an octave or not.

I was going to ask you to post the schematic for the octave down but I'll keep trying later.

Zero the hero

Quote from: moosapotamus on January 23, 2006, 10:11:23 AM
Very nice work!

Is there any clean sound blended in, or does this output only the -1 octave down?

~ Charlie

Thanks!
The switch allows to blend or not the wet signal with the dry. The original used two 2P2T to disable the octave or disable the straight signal. I used a 1P2T for this and I have to test it more.
This pedal sound great with my Ibanez Artcore (hollow-body)!

Thanks for pointing me to Uzzfay site, I've seen the schematic for the shin-ei fuzz!

On ISP error, try F5... sometimes it works.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Herr Masel on January 23, 2006, 10:25:20 AMFrom fuzz guts: http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/fy2/fy-2schem.html I am not sure if it has an octave or not.

No. This is a simple (but excellent) fuzz that (IMHO) is a cousin of the Mosrite Fuzz-Rite.  No octave up OR down anywhere in it.

moosapotamus

Quote from: Zero the hero on January 23, 2006, 10:37:37 AMThe switch allows to blend or not the wet signal with the dry. The original used two 2P2T to disable the octave or disable the straight signal. I used a 1P2T for this and I have to test it more.

Cool. Yeah, I guess I can see that in your nicely redrawn scheme. Seems like there ought to be a way to use pots instead of switches to adjust the clean and octave levels individually... maybe? P2 looks like it already does that for the octave. I wonder if you could replace SW1 with a pot set up like P2, but tied to the input to allow you to adjust how much clean you want to blend in?

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Zero the hero

Quote from: moosapotamus on January 23, 2006, 03:56:23 PM

Cool. Yeah, I guess I can see that in your nicely redrawn scheme. Seems like there ought to be a way to use pots instead of switches to adjust the clean and octave levels individually... maybe? P2 looks like it already does that for the octave. I wonder if you could replace SW1 with a pot set up like P2, but tied to the input to allow you to adjust how much clean you want to blend in?

~ Charlie

8) You're right! I think you should lower R36 to 47k and tie a 100k pot between the switch pad (and ground). This would suffice to everybody's blend needs!

Kon_fución

Quote from: Zero the hero on January 24, 2006, 05:51:26 AM

8) You're right! I think you should lower R36 to 47k and tie a 100k pot between the switch pad (and ground). This would suffice to everybody's blend needs!
[/quote]

The 100K pot goes in parallel, correct?

boyersdad

What would the non-Japanese equivalent of the transistors be? Could you use 3906 and 3904?
I like amps etc.

Kon_fución

The 100K Pot for adjusting the clean and octave level goes in parallel to ground or in series from R36 to C18?

Kon_fución

Here is a compilation of my schematic and PCB work for the Shin Ei Octave Box. Its a RAR which contains redrawn Schematic, PCB, Layout, Bill of materials, etc. in PDF format and everything needed to get this project going. As for sound samples, this time there are none do to the fact that my USB sound card and motherboard don't manage to get along and the on-board sound card just clips do to the low frequencies (I play Bass). So later on Ill post some samples.
The board size is 110mm x 62mm, has a nice symmetrical distribution, enough space to work comfortably and transistors pads are not too close.
Working guaranteed.  ;D

http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=DYMPBDGM

Thanks to Alessandro Petrini for his work.