Woody - Sparkle Boost (pics)

Started by ezanker, January 23, 2006, 12:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ezanker

I just completed Andy/Dragonfly's Sparkle Boost.  First off, thanks Andy for providing us with the design!  This is a real simple build that provides you with a great sounding booster.  It sounds excellent in front of my tube amp and also in front of my blue magic with a strat.

For the box, I acquired one of Chadd Hamilton's (Forum id chaddhamilton) wooden boxes.  I shielded it by lining the inside with alumin(i)um foil, and I finished the outside with one of the minwax stains called "Olde Maple Satin".  Chadd's boxes are great quality, beautiful, rugged, and just look at those curves  :icon_lol: 

For anyone else interested in housing one or more of your effects in one of these wooden boxes, I encourage you to PM chaddhamilton.

Thanks again to Andy for your many contributions and to Chadd for making these beautiful boxes.
Erik

Paul Marossy

I have one of Chadd's boxes, too. I have the inside shielded, but I can't decide on what circuit to put in it. Anyhow, nice job!  :icon_cool:

BDuguay

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Dragonfly

that enclosure looks killer....i hadnt seen those before...!

glad you like the SB !

andy

jimmy54

That is beautiful looking.  Are boxes like these available for general sale?

ezanker

Thanks for the comments guys!

Quote from: jimmy54 on January 23, 2006, 05:29:48 PM
That is beautiful looking.  Are boxes like these available for general sale?

I recommend you PM chaddhamilton about it, but my guess is he would be happy to offer them for sale.  Perhaps if he sees this thread he can chime in...

petemoore

The Wooden Wave...sort of wave shaped...
  Super Cool Box !!! Trick Shape.
  As I've stated before, 'Wood is my Favorite "Color"'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

turing

damn that;s a fine looking pedal. is that just normal tin foil he's used to shield it? perhaps it could double as a luncn box aswell.......keep your pedal free from hum, and your sandwiches fresh.
er, but seriously, is that some special stuff, or can i just go and raid the kitchen drawer?.........i've always fancied doing something wooden, but been too damn ignorant of shielding requirements to try.  does the shielding have to encase the circuit completely, or is a single plane enough?
lovely work.

ezanker

Quoteis that some special stuff, or can i just go and raid the kitchen drawer?
I just raided the kitchen drawer  :)  I glued regular tin foil to the inside of the box and on the lid making sure it connects when the lid is on.  My understanding is that the shielding should encase the circuit, but perhaps you can search the archives for a more technical explanation.  Because solder does not stick to the foil, I made sure the input jack is touching the foil.

If you have the woodworking skills, don't let the shielding issue stop you from doing it, go for it.

I've found that the Sparkle Boost sounds great in front of my Blue Magic, but not in front of my BSIAB II.  Have any of you found other great pairings for the Sparkle Boost?