[Link]...What's this TI thing do ?

Started by petemoore, January 24, 2006, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

davebungo

I think it does pretty much what it says on the tin.  It uses capacitive coupling rather than opto coupling to achieve the same end i.e. high voltage isolation.  It looks as though it can deal with 0Hz signals by chopping it up into an AC signal and then reconstructing at the other end.  Have you got an idea in mind for this?

H.Manback

Bear in mind that this seems to be intended for digital signals.. Analog signals I guess wouldn't pass through too well.

R.G.

That looks cool. It's a low power version of something I've been messing with - power isolation by capacitors instead of transformers.

I have a setup with a high frequency oscillator and either transistors or a MOSFET gate driver IC that pumps power across a capacitve isolation barrier to avoid ground loops. So far I have it up to 10ma with good noise performance. That gets many but not all pedals.

It's still in test.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

petemoore

I think it does pretty much what it says on the tin.
  Yupp, but with that tin mind, I didn't quite grasp the lits, I didn't give the 3rd degree, figured I'd run it by here, to see what someone else thinks of it.
  It uses capacitive coupling rather than opto coupling to achieve the same end i.e. high voltage isolation.  It looks as though it can deal with 0Hz signals by chopping it up into an AC signal and then reconstructing at the other end.  Have you got an idea in mind for this?
  Opto-coupling in HV isolation is an institution I've not been to or even read about, opto's I'm used to I can't figure how that'd help get HV isolation...not that it matters right now...I just put it up as today's bait for gathering noggin' bits.
  I hoped first to get a comprehension a little about what it 'actually does', which looks like it'd require study on HV Isolation etc., also to help me ponder whether such things are worth thier time here on the forum.
  I get the TI newsletter in email, they talk alot about mostly digital applications and hardware, this one said 'opto' and looked to be maybe a diffferent way to control opto applications, it doesn't appear that 'phaser' was in the mind of the designers at that time.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.