Dr Boogey ... debugged and great !

Started by MartyMart, January 26, 2006, 03:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Bit more de-bugging today, I built "Dr Boogey" a while ago and only had
"flat out" distortion with some "Splatty" decay, I found a mis-wire around Q4
and also a "dead" 1M gain pot !
It's now sounding fantastic, I removed Q5 and the tone stack for now, its stock
up to Q4 then 27n cap with 15k/2n2 ground X2 network to 100k vol pot ( ROG sim style )
Very nice high gain tones with good gain range, mid boost and sparkle also.
I may add back a tone control at some point ...
Thanks to electriclabs for another nice amp sim :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

That's one that I to build sometime. Got any soundclips?  :icon_wink:

vanhansen

Nice.  I haven't tried that one yet.  Heck, I haven't had much time to build much lately. *sigh*
Erik

Connoisseur of Distortion

i recently was prodding inside mine, and discovered some green patches on my copper traces. the trimpot for Q3 also no longer works...

this disturbs me.

back to re-de-bugging. sigh.

gaussmarkov

Quote from: MartyMart on January 26, 2006, 03:20:03 PM
I removed Q5 and the tone stack for now, its stock
up to Q4 then 27n cap with 15k/2n2 ground X2 network to 100k vol pot ( ROG sim style )
does this mean something like this? :P :icon_biggrin:  thanks!

Q4                   Cp
            |-----D---------||--- to 100K pot
            |                   27n
  ------>|G                     
            |-----S-------+------+
                              |         |
                              \       ----- Cg
                         Rg \       ----- 2n2
                       15K \         |
                              \         |
                              |         |
                              V        V

Arn C.

Or, like this?

Q4                   Cp
            |-----D---------||--------------- 100K pot
            |                   27n                |<-----
  ------>|G                                       |
            |-----S-------+------+            V
                              |         |
                              \       ----- Cg
                         Rg \       ----- 2n2
                       15K \         |
                              \         |
                              |         |
                              V        V

Peace!
Arn C.

MartyMart

No, Drain has 27n then 15k series then 2n2 to ground then 15k series then another 2n2 to ground then vol pot lug 3

Gate is input

Source has the 1k8 and 1uf to ground as the schem.. Q4

sorry, tried the "drawing" thing and it was too screwed up !!

Tone stack and Q5 omitted

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

gaussmarkov

Quote from: MartyMart on January 27, 2006, 12:56:54 PM
No, Drain has 27n then 15k series then 2n2 to ground then 15k series then another 2n2 to ground then vol pot lug 3

Gate is input

Source has the 1k8 and 1uf to ground as the schem.. Q4

sorry, tried the "drawing" thing and it was too screwed up !!

Tone stack and Q5 omitted

MM.

thanks marty!  that was my other guess! :icon_wink:  i just didn't have two ascii drawings in me.  too bad we don't have a fixed width font option.  ::) :icon_biggrin:

electrictabs

Quote from: MartyMart on January 26, 2006, 03:20:03 PM
Bit more de-bugging today, I built "Dr Boogey" a while ago and only had
"flat out" distortion with some "Splatty" decay, I found a mis-wire around Q4
and also a "dead" 1M gain pot !
It's now sounding fantastic, I removed Q5 and the tone stack for now, its stock
Very nice high gain tones with good gain range, mid boost and sparkle also.
I may add back a tone control at some point ...
Thanks to electriclabs for another nice amp sim :D

Marty.

Thanks for the kind words Marty
glad you like it...
well i like the way you altered the circuit
imo these sims are built like preamps more than dist pedals...if someone would want them as dist pedals he should probably do a mod like you did
well i have built some other emus. In most of them i prefer a fixed eq or much better a-one tone pot (bm type with different values)
just a hint if you remove eq and pres and add the tone circuit from brown sound in a box2 and dual lowpass then you get a GREAT SOUND

gaussmarkov

i'm on the road--so the best i can do is be a "virtual" fx builder.  :icon_confused:  so i "built" dr. boogey.  because folks leave out tone stacks, like marty did, or switch them, like electrictabs did, i experimented with keeping most of the tone stack off board.  my thought was that this would make mods easier.

fwiw here are my layouts.  they aren't verified but i am pretty confident they are right.  i did them in eagle and that means i just have to get the schem right.  so if anyone wants to work from these, i am posting my schems, too.  the idea in the version without the tone stack is to the "fly" the parts in the way you might mod your guitar or commerical amp.

dr. boogey schem
dr. boogey layout
dr. boogey minus tone stack schem
dr. boogey minus tone stack layout

electrictabs:  thanks for the circuit!  i hope i can have your blessing on posting this stuff.  if not, let me know and i'll unpost.  i'm looking forward to a real build. :icon_biggrin:

Connoisseur of Distortion:  i hope you get that thing working.  you deserve it!  thanks for your reports.

martymart:  thanks again for clarifying.  i used your approach to removing the tone stack.

if anyone does find a mistake or verifies a layout, please let me know and i will make appropriate changes. 

RaceDriver205

Yeah, that Dr Boogey is the best DIY distortion pedal yet. It has the goods, and you cant ask for more than that.

askwho69

i know this is very long time hahaha! but can you please re upload the layout of tone stackless? :) hhehhehe
"To live is to die"

deadastronaut

look at martys answer above...i was going to do this to mine and make the tonestack switchable...

ive never seen an actual stackless board...oh wait i think i saw someone squeezed a stackless one in a 1590a...

believe it or not...dont remember who though...it was in the pictures thread i think...a while back...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Brymus

There was a non tonestack version at Gausmarkov.
If its not there PM me and I will try to dig it out of my archives for you.
EDIT-Look here http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Brymus/Dr+Boogie/
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

askwho69

Thanks 100 times! :) rob we are in two the same thread hehehe you said in the other "dead links?" hehehehe :icon_twisted:

A2
"To live is to die"

askwho69

Hi i have another question . .  is BMP tone stack work on this Br boogey, does anybody tried this? or should have active tone stack? like ROG's tonemender to work?

Cheers
A2
"To live is to die"

Scruffie

Regards Askwhos post sort of... I'd quite like to add a tone stack like that found on the 'Pocket Metal Muff' by Electro Harmonix to this... rather than having knobs, it's just a fixed tone stack with a 3-Way Mid Switch for Scooped, Flat & Hump.

What would be the best and simplest way to implement something like this? Just adding a Big Muff Tonestack with a trimmer instead of the knob and a cap switch or is there a better way to go about it, that could cost me some low end or treble due to its see-saw like action and a Baxandall is starting to add too many parts to get her all on a 1590B PCB with board mounted pots with room for battery nicely... I suppose just putting fixed resistors inplace of the Bass & Mids of the normal three way tone stack would work but then i'd need to add the 5th transistor back in.

Any ideas?

Maik

Hey Brymus, it´s nothing in there...so I try a PM... ???

Brymus

You have to click on download document  ;)

EDIT ok first you click on the blue words " no thumbnail " then " download document "
It threw me off the first time I tried link to a PDF in the gallery too. :D
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Maik

Didn´t work. It says "not a supported file or damaged" after downloading, saving as a pdf and try to open.