yet another switch popping thread

Started by freak scene, January 31, 2006, 09:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freak scene

i know there are a million of these, but i still havent been able to resolve my problem.  i have an old deluxe electric mistres that i added an LED to and true bypassed etc... anywho i have tried pull down resistors (1meg) on the in and out of the board and i believe they were in the right spot (coming off the capacitor to ground) and im grounding them to the lug of the transformer so that shouldnt cause a problem.  still popping.  im going to try replacing the caps tonight maybe they are leaky.  if that doesnt resolve it, then what should i try?  a higher value resistor for the drop downs?  this thing is running 12 volts i believe.

bioroids

Probably the old capacitors (are they electrolytic?) are too leaky and 1M is too much resistance to bring it down. In any case increasing the resistance will not help; decreasing the resistance can help, but you are also lowering the input impedance so that's not a good idea.

You should measure with a DMM if there is a voltage at the pull down resistors.
You need to put the effect in bypass, maybe wait a while for the capacitors to charge and then measure the voltage between the pulldown resistor and ground (both input and output resistors). More than 10mv (sometimes even less) will cause an audible pop. If no significant voltage is there, then the cause is probably other stuff, like the switch itself.

Luck

Miguel

Eramos tan pobres!

freak scene

thanks,

one of the caps is electrolytic the other isnt, i will measure voltages tonight, and this is the second switch i have tried.