why o WHY dont jfets and xstrs have standardised pinouts!!!!!!

Started by nelson, February 01, 2006, 09:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

I dislike having to look up pinouts for xstrs and jfets all the time, hell even some voltage regulators have diff pinouts.

Why, why, WHY, WHY cant there just be a standard EBC or DSG  pinout?

dual+single opamps have standardised pinouts.

I mean it would somewhat standardise circuit design and manufacturing.

Not to mention make my life slightly easier.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

troubledtom

because life is not built around stompboxes ,
i quess. :icon_neutral:
    ???????????????????????????????????
                      - tom

toneman

why don't all vehicles have the same headlight height???

same reason...

:icon_smile:
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

gaussmarkov

and why doesn't my cell phone work in europe or south america or africa or asia?

:)

p.s. headlight height?

TheBigMan

It really annoys me when I do a layout without thinking and automatically do FETs with a DGS pinout, then remember that most are DSG.  Never understood why Euro/American pinouts are DSG for FETs and EBC for trannies yet the Japanese use DGS and ECB.  ???

Dave_B

Help build our Wiki!

Paul Marossy

Why as why? Just have a beer and fuggedaboudit.  :icon_wink:

Actually, I have a sheet on which I have sketched out the pinouts for all the commonly transistors and FETs. That saves a lot of time once you have it all on paper.  :icon_cool:

R.G.

I've known people who would think that the difference in pinouts is to build mental flexibility and character.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger, you know. I'm thinking that your ability to look up datasheets is already stronger, and that's good for lots of reasons having nothing to do with pinouts.  :)
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

The easiest solution would simply be to have a document here that we can add to over time, which lists all commonly-used TO-92-style transistors in terms of pinout category, with a common reference diagram (preferably flat side facing you, pins pointing down).

Betcha it would replace Photoshop-doctored pix of Elisha Cuthbert or Jennifer Aniston as the most popular pinup on the forum in a jiffy. :icon_wink:

nelson

Quote from: R.G. on February 02, 2006, 01:10:03 PM
I've known people who would think that the difference in pinouts is to build mental flexibility and character.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger, you know. I'm thinking that your ability to look up datasheets is already stronger, and that's good for lots of reasons having nothing to do with pinouts.  :)

There is a silver lining.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

SysCrusher

Think about in a military sense. You want to make the same part the same way as your enemy and make it easier for them to use your equipment against you?

Sir H C

Think it has to do with how the transistor is fabbed.  Usually the emitter will be the middle, base one side, collector the other if everything is on the top, if the collector is on the bottom then you can have more fun in getting all three pins wherever you want. 

puretube

I just love the repetition of a schematic`s: C-B-E in the pinout of the real world thing...