zvex wooly mammoth

Started by scaesic, February 09, 2006, 12:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scaesic

as a continuation of the discussion i was having just a second ago...

i thought the pinch control had something to do with an inbuilt compressor, the blurb says it controls the pulse width, i guess it uses a seperate square wave and multiplies that with the guitar signal as a form of distortion, the pinch must be a width control over a pulse which, the frequency could be set by the fundamental of the input signal, or you could have a frequency control.

hmmm. maybe im completely wrong.

anyone know where i can get a schem for a signal gen that has variable freq. and wave shape? maybe i could use that as a starting point.

it would be an intresting way to manipulate guitar signal, as the frequency is increased, it'd clip the wave several times on each "peak", as you increased it ever more, you'd have the wave being clipped heaps each cycle, compared to just one big clip on the top and bottom, manipulating the amplitude of the wave would be clipped to bigger and smaller extents.

it'd be intresting to have a normal op-amp/diode clipping stage, followed by this sort of A.M, i'd imagine it'd give  amuch richer synthy sound - which is kind of like the wooly mammoth...

the wooly mammoth sounds so much better than the bazz fuss thoug

things i'd need to investigate:

something that takes an input signal and sends out the fundamental of that signal

a variable width pulse generator, which can have it's frequency set via an input.

following: is it possible to use a square wave trem at much higher frequencies, to work this way?

Gus

If you have a scope and a signal gen use a sine wave with a 10K in series with the output to the input of the FF circuit over driving it and clipping it.   You will note the duty cycle off the waveform changed.  You can adjust the clipped wave form duty cycle adjusting parts of the circuit.

I have not seen that circuit but I would guess it has unequal gain from the top (closer to the 9V) than at the bottom(closer to ground) that is adjustable via a pot.