DIY Amp Sites

Started by Harry, February 11, 2006, 02:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Any good sites for beginning diy amps?

bluesdevil

www.ampage.org is a good jump off point as well. I've been wanting to take the tube amp build plunge too, but I found out I just can't afford it now.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Harry

Anyone here who's into amp building; Would you say it's practical alternative to buying an amp? Like can it be cheaper?

theundeadelvis

Depends. Most of the smaller amps like the P1s at AX84 probably are more expensive to build then to buy something comparable. If you are a proficient builder you can probably build nice "boutique" amps for less than buying. You should check out Webers kits. You can get kits with EVERYTHING including directions for a pretty reasonable price.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

nightingale

Hey,
My 1st amp build was the an 18 watt lite. from www.18watt.com
you can build an 18 watter for much less that you can buy the new RI.
The originals are very expensive.

hope this helps,
ry

be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

petemoore

Quote from: Harry on February 11, 2006, 03:00:58 PM
Anyone here who's into amp building; Would you say it's practical alternative to buying an amp? Like can it be cheaper?
I built the chassis and cabinet, speaker cab etc. so the 5e3 kit was like 300...a Tweed Deluxe...goes for...??
  That would be comparing a 'brand new everything' kit to an old amp or...do they make new Tweed Re-issues?...I think a good new amp like I've built, built, is like 600...bottoms, 800 and up really...correct me please, I did no real research...search Ebay for amp prices.
  "Like can it be cheaper?" Yes and No and...not really...
  Not an insult just the best way I can answer..."Not if you have to ask"...
  If you can make a chassis, and source some good cheep irons, and know all the details about what you're doing...
  For a first tube amp build I can recommend choosing a kit that's tried/true, and not too fancy, high quality, well documented and texted schematics included.
  the chassis is really worth it, but I built mine anyway.
  Unless you know how much time it'd take to get a scratch amp built, figure it might take a while or 4...you can probably do it, because it's been done...
  Starting with a kit isn't really for savings against buying a built amp, a good reason for starting with a kit amp is simply because 'I want to build a kit amp' [stemming directly from the limitations of 'I want to build an amp']...for the learning experience, a nice finished amp that you can tweek to your taste, by reading and building the thing, you have a working model you can get to understand [hopefully...er at least that'd be a good point for having one]...all high quality components which you can hand pick...a shining example of material goods for your ego  :icon_wink:
  For me, the second build was a good deal @ 325 [kit, shipped]+ 75 [tube accessories]...425$...now I have a build with a sound can be compared as a 'best ever'...IMOVHO...knockout tones...observers give it the high marks when I turn it on...
  The first build, I know what to do to mod it for my usage with HB pickups...sounds great also just amp Dist or...A Selected ~Dist Circuit > stereo Echo Park W/Phase 'Left' > tube guitar amps >2x12'' cab ea. //  :icon_mrgreen: = My Personal Heaven...
  'Buy it or build it, know what you're getting into'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dosmun

BrianJ

The third amp you build will be way cheaper than buying because you'll have all those scrap parts from your first 2 failed projects.  DIY amps are a whole different game.  It took me a year just to plan my first project, 3 months to build it, and another 3 months to realise i'd never get anywhere if I didn't start from scratch all over again.  I'm not bitter though...

On the other hand it's the most rewarding (and impressive to other musicians) project you could probably attempt.  Its definitely a you-will-succeed-if-you-don't-give-up project.  Start with a clone that you can get reasonably price replacement parts for.  Don't try to reinvent the wheel until you have more experienced.   If you are methodical and careful you WILL succeed.

Harry

Thanks for all the suggestions.

After looking through it all I think it would be a very unpractical venture considering my skill and (lack of) money. I think I'm just gonna save up for a cheap Vox.

But if you know of any other good sites, by all means post them. I'm still interested in learning about them.

bluesdevil

Somebody here posted a link to a forum where they modding fairly low priced Crate tube amps to Marshall specs with great results, I think. Sounded like a good alternative amp project that would get you warmed up for a complete build.
           I'll search through my bookmarks and will post back here if I find the anything.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy