Small Clone Mods

Started by alteredsounds, February 11, 2006, 03:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alteredsounds

I've got a spare old small clone kicking about so decided to have some fun modding it.  I did the depth pot mod from tone pad which works fine, got a problem with the blinking led mod that i can power it from pin 1 but it doesnt blink, just lights up but also it stops the chorus effect, must be the drop in voltage it causes i'd guess? 

What other mods are there apart from the stereo 1 (looks a bit full-on).  Got a space where the Dept switch was that could be used.

I've done forum searches but a few posts are missing and some dead links.

Cheers,
Nick,

Mark Hammer

Take a look at the Corrral CE-2 clone over at Tonepad.  All the mods for that one apply to the Small Clone; just different part locations.

alteredsounds

alteredsounds

Any idea on the 'blinking' led anyone?  tried red, yellow and white leds, none blink just stay on and cut the chorus effect down to almost nothing.

Cheers,
Nick,

alteredsounds

Sorry to bump this one but I'm ready to stick it back in it's box but still cant figure this led prob out?

Cheers,
Nick,

H.Manback

I'd guess the LED's voltage drop is making your LFO output a flatliner. Try putting a buffer before the LED to prevent loading down the LFO. Just a unity gain opamp buffer will do.

alteredsounds

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I kinda guessed that was the problem but havent read anyone else having the same problem.  At the risk of sounding dumb, could you explain what kinda thing u meant by 'Try putting a buffer before the LED to prevent loading down the LFO. Just a unity gain opamp buffer will do.'?

Cheers,
Nick,

H.Manback

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/opamp.htm

There you go, any old opamp will do for this, just get a 741 or something, might be handy if you want to add an offset to the signal so the led doesn't turn off but just varies in brightness. But first just try that buffer. (It's the voltage follower on that page by the way)

alteredsounds

Karmasound

There is a vibrato mod, and a speed mod, and also some thing to mess with the clock and get  mild flager sound. Check out the reviews at tonepad. warmer thinner deal too.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

If you do all the mods, I'd be very interested in gut pictures. (maybe for posting at the project page or something).

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

alteredsounds

Strange you should post that.  I was just about to add the tremelo mod this minute.  Struggled a bit because I'm using an old EH Small Clone and the mods are more intended for people building one from scratch so it was difficult to identify the right places on the board.  I've replaced the Depth switch with a pot which is a very nice addition indeed and utiilize the now redundant Depth switch to switch in a cap at the output which gives a much fuller sound.  I true-bypassed it and put on the pulsing led mod which is actually quite usefull.  I also put on a status led (through the letter 'O' of course!) 

Still sounds like a great old EH Small Ctone but much much more versatile and fun.

Will do some pics etc hopefully this evening.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com