the different stages

Started by flibbergibbin, February 12, 2006, 01:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flibbergibbin

I've been reading alot and keep seeing "stages" mentioned over and over. Multiple gain stages etc. and was wondering what exactly is meant by that? Sorry if this a stupid question just like to know so I can understand the stuff I've read.

flibbergibbin

Is it like daisy chaining? I keep seeing that as well. Where they put two of the same circuit back to back. Would that be multiple stages or am I completely off?

flibbergibbin

I forgot to say the calavera circuit says it "utilizing two stages" and from what I've learned about schematics it looks kinda like daisy chaining.

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

these forums are loaded with stuff

pyrop

QuotePosted by: flibbergibbin  

Is it like daisy chaining? I keep seeing that as well. Where they put two of the same circuit back to back. Would that be multiple stages or am I completely off?

Yep pretty well spot on. Good examples of multi gain stage effects are Joe Davisson's Obsidian, Blackfire & Vulcan
http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/ check 'em out

pyrop ;D

flibbergibbin

Thanks pyrop! I was hoping this reading was paying off. Thanks for the link as well. I guess there's more reading to do.

flibbergibbin

Pyrop are the components between the stages tone sections or what? I just check out all three you said were good examples and now it looks clearer to me. Thanks again for your help.

petemoore

multiple gain stages just means seriesed gain stages in general contexts.
  say you want more gain that your stage provides, add another one to the output.
  Or say you can get enough gain but frequency response or impedance sufferes when setup that way...set the circuit up differently with an added gain stage.
  Or as an approach to 'smoother' or sofet distortion, [Jfet amp sims as example], many lower gain stages may be seriesed to just breakover into distortion in a number of the latter stages of a circuit, tho heavy distortion is possible this way also.
  ...anyway each 'gain' stage has active component[s and therefore biasing needs, often using 'staging' caps to block DC or made smaller value to serve also as a HP Filter [but not always].
  The Fuzz Face is an example of a two transitor gain stage with a feedback loop.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

flibbergibbin

So the "staging" caps you talk about are the caps between the stages right? They block DC or current from the transistors so they remain biased or balanced right? And the "staging" caps can also act like an "HP filter" which I think is a high pass filter which allows high frequencies to pass through to the output right? Is that right and the "staging" caps help bias just the transistors or resistors and other components too? Thanks petemoore for your help.

petemoore

These actives are biased with DC. stageing caps, input and output caps
  put it this way caps block DC... really big caps block frequencies real close to DC > Very low frequencies...the smaller the value gets, the more low, then mid, then high [as values get smaller] frequencies are attenuated or blocked, just like and still including the DC/Direct Current as in 'no frequency'.
  So signal path goes through them, 'series, in signal path'...they are DC Blocking, and can be HP filters.
  The key is...That's all caps ever do...pass higher frequencies, attenuate or cut lower ones.
  A cap wired as possible HP filter [DC Blocking anyway], seriesed insignal path, lets no DC [makes for 'tidy biasing] and an amount of High frequencies  'through' to the next stage...passes higher frequencies.
  to make a LP filter, connect a cap from signal path to ground...the higher Freqs the cap lets through all get 'shunted' to ground 'cancelled' or 'eliminated'.
  ...preventing the lower frequencies getting to ground, or getting eliminated by shunting,...instead the LF's pass on, unfettered [by any LP Filtercap] to the next stage.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

flibbergibbin

That's alot of valuable knowledge for sure. Thanks.

twabelljr

Go to this website: http://www.geofex.com/ and read "The Technology of the Tube Screamer". R.G. breaks down the popular Ibanez Tubescreamer into each of it's stages. Each stage's function and how it works is explained very well, and the portion of the schematic that makes up each stage is shown alongside the text. I promise you will learn alot from the "Technology of ..." articles.
Shine On !!!

Ge_Whiz

You can break down most circuits into sections or 'stages', most of which will do something on their own, e.g. an amplifying stage, a mixing stage, a filtering stage etc. Often each stage will be associated with one or maybe two 'active' devices, e.g. a transistor, a MOSFET, a valve section, an operational amplifier etc. Exceptions include a tone stack, which filters the tone but always reduces the overall signal level. These are usually associated with a previous 'gain boost' (i.e. amplifying stage) or following 'gain recovery' stage. Some people would include the amplifying stage and the tone stack as one stage, others would separate them. It's up to you. Certain combinations of parts, e.g. a 'Darlington pair' ('super-alpha pair') constitute the central part of a single 'stage'.