PIC (and other microcontroller) Use

Started by R.G., February 12, 2006, 01:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danngreen

I've been using AVRs for several years, because of the free C compiler that's based on gcc. It makes compact code, and can run on linux (avr-gcc package) or windows (WinAVR). I've found them to be good for MIDI stuff

I use the STK500 to program the AVR chips in-circuit (which is a whole lot nicer than having to pop out your chip every time you want to update the code). It works great on windows AND linux. The neat thing is you can use any old 486 computer with a serial port to do the programming. I believe you can get a similar programmer for around $30, and that would be your only cost. I also have seen USB programmers but don't have one.

...have to agree that just because they chips might be whimpy on memory/speed compared to modern CPUs, that doesn't mean you can't string 16 of them in a matrix to do some complicted tasks. Theyre very interconnectable! there's lot of potential for the DIY community to do some amazing new things!

Also, I would recommend anyone you feels they want an extra hand, to get an evaluation board. The STK500 is just that for AVRs. It has LEDs, switches, IO header pins, oscillator, not to mention the In-System Programmer, all built-in. To get your first project working, it takes a lot of setup, and an evaluation board will cut out a chunk of that.

BTW, here's  aproject I did a couple years ago(?) using an AVR as a MIDI controller:
http://4mspedals.com/influx9/index.html

troubledtom

thank you brotherdann!
         - tom

Dave_B

Quote from: danngreen on February 15, 2006, 11:48:02 AM
The neat thing is you can use any old 486 computer with a serial port to do the programming.
That's a really good point, Dan.  I was using an older P-II 350mhz machine that was otherwise taking up shelf space in my basement.
Help build our Wiki!