easyface schematics different or the same?

Started by janus, February 12, 2006, 01:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janus

Hello I built an easyface last night and it was rocking! then it stopped rocking when I moved the perfboard. After a long investigation I realized that my problem was in the input stage...with the 1.0uf cap, and with the b and e of q1 very touchy..then it just hummed..I was working off of this schematic.http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/easyface.gif
but also using the ez as a reference.
http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/ezface_ez.gif
I noticed that the 1.0uf is wired differently in these. I stuck with the first one not the EZ build. Are they essentially the same or am I missing something? I eventually tried the EZ wiring but it was 4am and I was getting frustrated and sloppy so I just went back to the original(1.0uf - to pot + to switch) and it hummed at that point I just gave up and decided to get some sleep and clear my head. There is continuity through and at all the right points. I'm using a 2n652a in q2. We bought my wifes Grandfathers house and he was really into old radios and left behind a couple of handfuls of transistors. Nothing really popular as far as fuzz's go but they are all pnp germaniums...had to weed through most of them and this one seems to do it when it's working. 2n3906 in q1 readings are all on as far as what is recommended. I just think it might be my input cap wiring..when it was working If I would touch the 1.0uf the signal would high pitched motorboat screech..man it sounded amazing when it was working for about 30min, it was like someone gave me a million dollars....the satisfaction of building something like that to create such a sweet sound is beyond rewarding..I'll get it back I think..I'm tearing up the perfboard with all my desoldering so I need to get it right before it's toast.
any thoughts appreciated and thanks for all the info on this forum!
brian

twabelljr

I had something similar happen where a build worked and then stopped after some handling. I was using pad per hole perfboard and 2 of my underboard jumpers were just barely touching the same pad, causing them to be shorted together. If you are using pad per hole it's something to look out for.
Shine On !!!

janus

yes thanks that was part of the problem and I cleaned it up. Now it is working, but If I bias the collector with the 10k trim on q2 past 1.2v the noise is just out of control...anything below that is dead quiet and there is fuzz, but the decay is weird it has a weird trail that just kinda falls apart sound wise...not sure what it is. Could it be my transistors.? they are old and not tested properly for leakage. I have a 2n3906 in Q1. I tried 2 3906's and the same thing at about 1.18v on the collector of q2 it gets into a screechy not grounded sound anything under that is dead silent and has fuzz and doesn't sound awful, sounds really good when i get it to 4.5v, but the noise is too out of control. Anyone have any ideas?
thanks again for the reply,
Brian

petemoore

Anyone have any ideas?
  I .. "it isn't working ..."

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

janus