Step-Up Transformers

Started by mgrEIGHT, February 12, 2006, 01:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgrEIGHT

Why cant step up transformers be used as audio amplifiers? Or can they? why have i never seen this. Am i missing something?

R.G.

They can, and are.

There are microphone input transformers that use step up for this to get past noise limitations.

The limitations are that
1. Transformers can multiply voltage or current, but not both at the same time - that is, they cannot be a POWER amplifier. You get out slightly less power than you put in.
2. It is generally quite difficult to get good frequency response in a wideband amplifier. The cost of the amplifier often means that it 's cheaper to make a separate amplifier than to make an equally good transformer.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

mgrEIGHT

i figured it would be something like that. I didnt realize that the transformers in microphones were step up i thought they were for isolation or something. Is that why some microphones are so expensive, because they use good transformers?