Russian Transistors

Started by Stompin Tom, February 10, 2006, 03:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stompin Tom

I just got a batch of russian Ge transistors off ebay, and I was wondering if any of you have enough experience with them to help me with the pinouts.  I looked in the archives and found the GT308B on a data sheet jmusser posted (http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=39471.0) and I think (my cyrillic ain't so hot) the dot is the emitter and the middle is the collector... can anyone confirm?

The other trannies are GT402A... I haven't been able to find any info on those. Can anyone help?... Thanks.

MartyMart

Looking at the bottom of the tranny, at the pins, with "triangle" of pins pointing up ^
you have to do a twist of the middle pin to get , left to right :
C B E ... as is, before twisting,  they are C E B  !!
so you're swopping middle and right side pin, to give you ....  C B E

So far all my russian trannies are like that .... could be that some need rotating around, to E B C

Hope that's clear ?? !

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Stompin Tom

Thanks Marty. I understand what you're saying... have you used either GT402A or GT308B before? On the data sheet I was able to find (see the link above), it appears as if the pinouts change.  But, then again, maybe no one really uses the 'different' ones.

Eirik

Hi Tom!
The gt308b's are E V B. The dotted pin is the emitter. Here's how I figured it out: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/3.html
Eirik

Stompin Tom

Cool. Thanks for the link Eirik!

Ivana

ГТ402А - хорошие транзюки для германиевых примочек... Только Ку не очень большой.

jmusser

One thing I have around stapled to my Russian data sheet, is a cyrillic to English translator sheet just for the suffix letters. For instance, a cyrillic "B" looks like a lower case b, with a little flag bar on top, sort of like an upper case E and a lower case b together. If you get an upper case "B", I believe this is actually a "V" in cyrillic. I don't have my sheet with me right now, but I know, that there can be a huge gain difference between a "b" and a "V" suffixed transistor. I believe biggest part of these too, have been PNPs. It just blows my mind, that these things are available at all, and weren't dumped in a landfill years ago! It's good for us though. They have been of high quality.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Stompin Tom

FYI, I popped some of my newly acquired Russian transistors into my Rangemaster clone, Orange treble booster clone, and my harmonic perculator (almost) clone this weekend and they sound great! I haven't even selected for gain and leakage, yet... just by ear. Next up, Ge Fuzz Face! Can't wait...

I like the gt308s better in the boosters, as the gt402s sound woolier/thicker/warmer to me... but the gt402s sound good in the perculator (and probably in other fuzz boxes, too).