Extreme looper rig - A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H switcher

Started by tomasdj, January 18, 2022, 10:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomasdj

So yeah, I have a unique problem:

I am a solo singer songwriter that wants a rig that can handle the following setup:

1. Godin Multiac ACS Nylon -> piezo pickup and midi signal
2. Taylor 114e acoustic guitar -> piezo pickup
3. Art and Luthrie Cuban Tres -> piezo pickup
4. Schecter 6 string bass -> pickups
5. Frankenstrat -> pickups
6. 12 string acoustic guitar -> soundhole pickup
7. Ukulele/Dulcimer/Charango/Misc percussion instruments -> sm57 microphone
8. Casio PX-330BK -> Line out
9. Vocals -> SM58
10. Computer -> audio interface out

I will NEVER play two instruments at the same time except maybe vocals and something else. I need to be able to switch freely between the instruments but be able to mute them all. Levels do NOT matter because I will have the instruments going into a Helix Stomp XL and each guitar/instrument will have a separate patch set up. I would therefore want some sort extreme switcher.

Other elements in my signal chain would be (aside from Helix Stome XL): Vocals into a TC Helicon Live -> into whatever I will use to turn on or off each instrument; a Boss RC 300 looper which will be behind the Helix or in the effects send of the Helix;a simple mixer; an acoustic amp or PA.

Any suggestions on a pedal? Would I need something digital? Could it be analog?

FiveseveN

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like what you need is a 9:1 multiplexer with a mic preamp on one of the inputs (for the SM57). I don't think you need to involve the vocals in the mux unless they also have to go through the Helix and/or RC looper. MIDI control would be the best way to integrate it with the Helix.
It's not a complex project, but what is your experience with designing and building electronics?
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

tomasdj

I have little to no experience, I have soldered a few guitar pickups with DDPDT switches. I am more of a software developer so I understand the workings but not how to get there.

I do need to get everything except the computer into my looping situation (so technically both mic's bypass the helix and would go straight into the looper). I have a rough sketch of the signal path I think I need but I am still perplexed at the idea of wanting to connect everything at once and only have to unmute each instruments.

FiveseveN

OK, 10 inputs it is then. The CD4067 gives you 16 so you even have room to expand :D
You'll need some signal conditioning: the mic preamp(s) and biasing for the other inputs, as explained by R.G. http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/cd4053/cd4053.htm
And a microcontroller with some trivial coding.
Let's see that sketch in the meantime.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

ElectricDruid

Isn't this just a ten-input mixer? You drop the fader on the channel you don't want, fade up the channel you do want. You can leave the vocal channel mixed in in case you need it.

Basic 8/10/12 channel mixers aren't that expensive. Ok, you *could* probably build something far more basic for even less, but for what you get for what you pay, I'm not totally convinced it's worth trying to go it alone.

Your diagram shows the looper and the Helix, but both of these could be patched into a post-fade send/return on the mixer and off you go. I think a decent mixer can do everything you need, but you might have to learn how to operate it.

Ben N

Way beyond my ken or experience, but it seems to me that you want to switch instruments at the same time you switch patches on the Helix, so a MIDI controlled switcher for your instrument inputs along with a MIDI controller that can simultaneously control the instrument switcher and the Helix with PC codes might be the ticket. You could probably fashion a suitable switcher with an Arduino, a MIDI-in interface, and relays, and not overly difficult coding.
Or, with a bit more complexity in the programming, even set up the Arduino (or other PIC) as the MIDI controller and switcher. But I'm just brainstorming here--I can't actually help you implement the idea.
  • SUPPORTER