OT-Tube Amp Build?

Started by mydementia, February 14, 2006, 10:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mydementia

Hi Guys.
I've recently been looking for a low power tube amp to build.  I've seen several 'kits' in my online searches - but none of the sound clips were as 'big and clean' as I was hoping.  So...what have you built, and what's your favorite?  It looks like I'll have to put at least $400 into this thing (without speaker and enclosure)...so I want to know what I'm building will at least sound good!

What do I want out of this build?
Low power (<20W) tube amp - with an immaculate clean tone.  I want a nice clean Dr.Z Ghia-like tone that meets the Billy Gibbons blues crunch when cranked up.  I also need it to respond well to distortion/modulation pedals.  I'll probably make the amp a 1x12 combo (maybe 2x10/2x12 - but my back would prefer smaller!).  I'd like to be able to crank the amp power section without permanently wrecking my ears (I can't turn my PeaveyXXX beyond about '8:00' in my basement practice area!). 

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place (Aron?) but you guys are the masters!  All recommendations/referrals/sound clips :icon_biggrin: appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Paul Marossy

My favorite is the Octal Fatness. I think it is a great sounding amp.  :icon_cool:

fikri

Why dont you try something in the www.ax84.com They got tons of info of what you are looking for. Also i Agree with paul, Octal Fatness is a good sounding amp.