Signal split controller

Started by JimRayden, February 15, 2006, 06:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimRayden

I'm thinking along the lines of the ROG Splitter-blend but without the blend circuit and the pot on the "split side".

I have a wah enclosure and I want it to send the output to one amp when toe down, and to the other when heel down. Simple idea by its nature but I'm confused by the buffering included.

How to pull it off as simple as possible? No transformers please!  ::)

-----------
Jimbo

JimRayden

Hmm, I guess stereo pot would be too obvious. Besides I only have mono.

----------
Jimbo

JimRayden

Oh come on, it's just an innocent little splitter...

-------------
Jimbo

d95err

There are some articles at GEO that could be useful:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/VCA%20Applications.pdf
http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/oaspltr.gif

Combine the pan pedal descibed in the first article with the opamp isolation part of the second to get what you want.

JimRayden

Hmm, gets too complicated though. Plus it includes a wierdo expensive chip. Doesn't the idea sound stupidly simple? I was expecting maybe a few op-amp buffers and a neat panning trick to whip it up... :icon_neutral:

-----------
Jimbo

JimRayden

Hmm, take a look at the input section of the Splitter-Blend...
http://www.runoffgroove.com/splitter-blend.html

What if I connected the pot like this: lug 1 to green output, lug 3 to red output and wiper to ground. That would ground one output when toe down and the other when heel down.

----------
Jimbo

JimRayden

Oh come on, it's not nice of you to ditch my thread to page two like that.

Besides I feel like a jerk posting that much in my thread.

----------
Jimbo

343 Salty Beans

Since you feel like you've posted way too much, I'm going to contribute my two cents...

I have no idea.

Oddly enough, 2 cents is worth 0 cents. Bet you could stump a math teacher with that.

lovekraft0

There's no problem with something similar to what you're proposing, so long as both amps have the same ground potential - if they differ by very much, you're going to have a big, nasty, buzzy ground loop on your hands, and you'll have to isolate at least one of the outputs with one of those "complicated" methods you appear to dislike so much. Often, it's no problem, but even amps of the same model may differ enough to cause audible (and very irritating) buzz, so you deal with it on a case-by-case basis.

As for the panner circuit itself, RG has a simple dual opamp single pot Orban-style constant power panner on his site under "Panning For Fun" - build it, and isolate one output, and you've got a panner for all seasons.

JimRayden

Quote from: lovekraft0 on February 16, 2006, 05:00:12 AM
those "complicated" methods you appear to dislike so much.

Actually it's not about the complexity, it's more about using a strange and expensive chip. RG's approach seems alot clearer and cheaper to me, I'll go with that. I'll just save me a trip to the store, as I have the necessary few parts right here. Thanks for pointing to the article.

----------
Jimbo