Introducing the Bob-F! Please breadboard and review

Started by Noplasticrobots, February 14, 2006, 10:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noplasticrobots

I would like to introduce my first circuit to the DIY community at large! The Bob-F (Based on bazz-Fuss)!

After fiddling with the Bazz Fuss forever, I accidentally discovered something. Due to work and the holidays, I never got time to complete it. I recently dug out my breadboard and components and set to work on improving on my discovery. There's a good chance this has been done before, but I haven't seen anything like it so I think it's unique. If I did "discover" this, I hope people find it useful!

By adding a zener diode after the output cap of the Bazz Fuss, I got this cool lo-fi distortion. So I added a second zener in the opposite direction connecting back to the output and I got a thicker lo-fi sound that bordered on fuzz. I added a few switches, and got a nice range of distortions, fuzzes and boosts. I added a resistor to ground on one switch and I got another cool distortion. So I present to you my preliminary schematic for my as yet unnamed pedal. I hope I can get some help in making sure my schematic is right in terms of standard operating procedure (pull down resistors/ drive control/in and out caps).

By switching the switches into different positions you get noises ranging from tinny distortions to bassy fuzzes to boosts, all without adjusting any knobs on your guitar or amp. Please breadboard or review this circuit and tell me what you think and any problems you notice. But remember, I'm new to this still so a lot of this probably doesn't make sense electronically!

Sound clips are soon to follow.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

puretube

that 0.01µF cap should be connected to the lower side of the collector-resistor...

bioroids

Hey you can also ommit the 1M resistor at the input as it is not necesary because of the pot in parallel. You will get a higer gain this way.

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Noplasticrobots

Puretube, thanks for pointing that out. On the breadboard it's on the lower side of the collector-resistor, so I only messed up on the schematic. Thanks for lettin' me know.

Bioroids, thanks for the tip! The drive works much better now.

Updated schematic is located above!

no one ever

(chk chk chk)

Noplasticrobots

puretube

Now the drive-pot is situated differently,
you do might want to include an anti-popp resistor (1M) from the left side of the input-cap to ground.

If SW1 or SW2 should popp, too, (?)
you might add a 1M from the right side of the 0.01µF to ground.

Noplasticrobots

Thanks for noticing Puretube. I messed up the schematic initially and through all my revisions I didn't catch it it until yesterday. Everything in the above schematic resembles what's on my breadboard right now, minus the 1M resistors (fixing now!) Above schemat is correct now.