New build: Tight Squeeze!!! (Ross Comp on Vero) --- Pics added

Started by hairyandy, February 16, 2006, 11:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairyandy

Hey all,

I just finished building a Ross Comp on Vero (a la Toney's layout) and it sounds pretty killer.  Two things though:  it's pretty noisy (as a compressor is wont to be) and there's definitely no lack of treble.  In fact, it might even have a little too much treble.  I'm wondering if the two things are related, as in maybe too much gain which is causing both the noise and the perceived added treble?  I didn't do Mark's treble mod (unless Toney built that into his layout.  Gotta go check on that...) but I did the recovery mod which works great.  I don't have an original (or even a Keeley) to compare it to but I do have a block logo Dynacomp and the Ross seems noisier.  I used all metal film resistors anticipating noise issues and I didn't substitute except for the trimpot (5k instead of 2k) and the resistor for the recovery mod (33.2k instead of 39k).  Speaking of the trimpot, I just set it to taste, is there a "correct" setting for it?  Set too low it just sputters and breaks up like it comes from Minnesota (crackle NOT ok :)) but right in the middle it sounds best.

This thing sounds killer through my '64 Princeton with my Tele.  Spank for days...

Here's a shot of the outside of the pedal:

And here's a shot of the guts:

I hope you dig it.

Thanks,

Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

hairyandy

As I suspected, Toney built Mark Hammer's treble mod into his vero layout.  I should have checked that before I posted the first time.  Without C16 (.001uf) all of the harsh treble is gone, as is a lot of the noise which was just emphasized by the small cap,  and it sounds much better to me.  I could see adding a bigger cap there for a little more treble, but it sounds fine to me without it which is stock.

This thing sounds great!  There is still some noise when it is on, but I think that's maybe a power supply filtering issue?  I did add a 150ohm resistor between the DC jack and the switch which helps.  I might add that I couldn't fit a battery in (it's in a 1590B) so it's power supply only.

Thanks Toney for the great layout.  I'll post some pics as soon as my camera charges...

Andy Harrison

Toney

Thats great Hairyandy, did you try the attack switch?
...has anyone else gotten what  they would consider excessive noise from this layout?

hairyandy

Toney,

If by "attack switch" you're talking about Mark's recovery mod, then yes I did and it works great.  When the switch is in the position with the least resistance it actually adds a slight gain boost which is pretty cool.

I've tried the pedal in a couple more amps and the noise isn't bad at all really.   In fact I'd say it's comparable to or a little less noisy than my old block-logo Dynacomp.  I think that my Tele through my Princeton in a room with a flourescent light wasn't the best setup for my initial testing.  :)  It's definitely usable and will find itself a permanent home on my pedal board.  I would suggest though that anyone who builds this leave off C16 (.001uf) from your layout and then add it if you think you need more treble.  I like it best without it myself, but then opinions are like...uh...what are they like?

:)

Thanks again,

Andy Harrison

Toney

Ha , yeah, thats what I meant..
As far as noise goes, I had slight reservations about running the 9v and ground so close in the circuit. Compactness was the goal when I was doing it. I added two filter caps, hopefully to cover it. It seemed fine in my test build, but the idea still slightly bothered me.

Hey, outstanding graphics on that box.

Glad it worked out for you.

pi22seven

hairyandy

Thanks guys.  The graphics are laminated vinyl stickers.  They make finishing a box super easy and they look great (if I do say so myself :))

Andy Harrison