UK Solder Sucker Ball/Bulb?

Started by gez, February 15, 2006, 09:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gez

Anybody know where to get one of those solder sucker balls/bulbs in the UK?

I've got one of those spring loaded desoldering pumps and, what with the traces on my boards getting thinner as my circuits get more complicated plus the extra heat required to melt lead-free solder, it's ripping the traces off the board!

I need something gentler, like those squeeze balls.  Can't find them anywhere!

PS  The braid I have doesn't seem to work anymore with lead-free solder.  :icon_neutral:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Alternatively, does anyone know of a braid/wick that works with 'SkyTronic' lead-free solder (ESR sell it)?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

gez

Quote from: puretube on February 15, 2006, 11:33:01 AM
my pump sux smd-components...

Whereas my pump just sux!!  :icon_razz:

That's exactly what I need it for Ton, what make is it?  The pump I have is one of those cheap Draper ones, which seem to be ubiquitous here.  With resistors it's not too bad as patch ups are feasible, but I need to desolder a whole chip and if I ruin the traces there...lot of work down the drain!

I might try one of those 'mini' ones Farnell sell, probably less suction, which is what I need...

puretube

mine`s too big, too! (same cheap thing, I guess).

I haven`t been a friend of wick until lately,
but on the other hand, I`ve got no experience desoldering leadfree stuff yet.

maybe a little flux/colophonium will help you?

then, on just another hand, I made me some adapter PCB modules for experimenting
and prototyping...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/latronax/pcb977.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/latronax/0968.jpg
0.65mm grid is just "too much"  :icon_eek:

vanhansen

Just a thought, and this may sound whacked, but wouldn't a baby nasal aspirator bulb work if you can't find a desolder bulb?  It does essentially the same thing. 

It's the green bulb in this pic.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004D3EJ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Erik

gez

Quote from: vanhansen on February 15, 2006, 12:59:16 PM
Just a thought, and this may sound whacked, but wouldn't a baby nasal aspirator bulb work if you can't find a desolder bulb?  It does essentially the same thing. 

It would probably melt.

I'll buy some new braid/wick tomorrow and see if it's any better.  Failing that I'll have to buy one of those mini-pumps.  Thanks anyway.

vanhansen

Quote from: gez on February 15, 2006, 02:18:00 PM
Quote from: vanhansen on February 15, 2006, 12:59:16 PM

It would probably melt.

I'll buy some new braid/wick tomorrow and see if it's any better.  Failing that I'll have to buy one of those mini-pumps.  Thanks anyway.

Melt...good point.  I didn't think of that.  :icon_redface:

Good luck.
Erik

gez

Managed to get the braid to work.  It hadn't been used in ages and part of it had discoloured, so I yanked a fair bit out and cut it off where it looked cleaner.  Works now...phew!

Hmmm, typo on yanked and the spell check had w*nked in its vocabulary!

Disgusted of Wimbledon  :icon_razz:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

desoldering braid seems to come in two kinds, the bare copper (which eventually oxidises & is useless then) and a type with flux on it. At least that's what it looks like to my eyes.

nelson

I am using the same skytronix lead free solder. Its a PITA. Its taking some getting used too.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

gez

Quote from: nelson on February 15, 2006, 09:30:11 PM
I am using the same skytronix lead free solder. Its a PITA. Its taking some getting used too.

You have to leave the iron to heat up slightly longer than normal and keep it hot (lead free has a higher melting point).  Also need to heat the joint slightly longer and feed the solder slightly quicker if it's the really thin stuff from ESR.

Once you get used to it, it's no different from the normal stuff in terms of ease of use.  You don't get shinny joints though, but that's common with a lot of lead-free solder.

gez

PS  The Antex stuff is a lot better, but I've got half a roll of the SkyTronix stuff to get through...

Ge_Whiz

Gez, what power rating is your soldering iron?

gez

Quote from: Ge_Whiz on February 16, 2006, 05:27:29 PM
Gez, what power rating is your soldering iron?

It's one of those small Antex pencil types, 15W.  I use a couple of tips, both intended for SMD/tight layouts.

gez

PS  I have two others though, for 'big boys stuff'  :icon_lol:

Ge_Whiz

Thanks for that - I guess my Antex 25W should work, then. I suppose one day I'll have to resort to this new-fangled expensive solder.