Waiting for parts

Started by syndromet, February 16, 2006, 01:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syndromet

Hi.
as I'm sitting here, waiting for the parts for my first build, I started wondering about parts.
I'm sure I'm gonna be  building a lot of boxes in the future, and I have to order things from other countries, if I don't want to pay 1$ for a cap.
I was therefor wondering what parts, and the values of those, that you can never get enough of? what is always handy to have lying around?

Sorry for the bad english, but I hope you understand what I'm asking.... Love this forum!
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

hank reynolds 3rd

I usually keep these in supply
100n and 10n caps
stereo and mono jacks
sockets
Dual opamps (I usually keep a stash of tl072's and 082's )
10k,47k,100k and 470k resistors
and Copper Board (just ran out last week tho...hhmmpphhh!!)

chaddhamilton

I don't like paying for parts either.  Last weekend I bought a used Compaq computer monitor for $3 at a local thrift store.  It got dissasembled in short order and a couple of hours of desoldering provided over 50 electrolytic caps for future projects.  I set the board aside for future scavenging(there are hundreds of usable 1/4w resisitors on there).  If you're the industrious/thrifty type, this is a good way to stock up on the cheap.

Rock on!
Chadd   
Rock on.

Ge_Whiz

One rule that works quite well is that the same components appear time and time again, so, if you can afford it, when you buy components for a project, buy twice over. That way, (a) you have a spare for every component, and (b) you will gradually build up a stock of the most useful devices.

cab42

Quote from: Ge_Whiz on February 16, 2006, 05:17:42 PM
One rule that works quite well is that the same components appear time and time again, so, if you can afford it, when you buy components for a project, buy twice over. That way, (a) you have a spare for every component, and (b) you will gradually build up a stock of the most useful devices.

That's also what I do and I was actually able to build a JFet Vulcan (yee-ha) two weeks ago without buying any parts! It took me app. 8 builds to collect these ekstra parts.

Otherwise I agree with Hank: lots of 10n, 100n and 10k's.

I started out by tearing some stereo equipment apart but found out that (at least for me with family, job and an old house) time is more limited than money so I always buy new parts.

Regards

Carsten

• SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn