News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

"Tone Core" Style Switch?

Started by tommy.genes, February 20, 2006, 02:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommy.genes

I'm intrigued by the dual-action switching of the Tone Core pedals, i.e. the different function performed for "soft" or "hard" presses of the switch. Initially, I'd be interested in a two-level bypass where a soft press would momentarily engage the pedal while the hard press would be the more traditional on/off toggle.

I've already been resarching the circuitry required to do this, but I have been expecting to use two separate foot switches - one momentary and one toggle. It would be great if it could be done with a single switch.

So - down to my actual question. Does any one know if the switch used in the Tone Cores or a similar one is commercially available? Or are they custom-made solely for Line 6.

Thanks,
-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

Peter Snowberg

The Tonecore stompswitch is a combination of two switches. The "tap" switch is a little SPST normally open momentary that I'm sure you can get at Mouser. It's a very small switch. The "off/on" switch is a totally custom job. The dock PCB has the contacts on it and a small plastic retainer piece holds three stamped dome shaped pieces of spring steel that are the resistance you are actually pushing against and they make the click upon switching as they short contacts on the PCB. It's a very cleaver, but 100% custom design.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

tommy.genes

Wow - that's even more complex and custom than I would have guessed.

Thanks for the info, BTW...

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs