What should I build?

Started by rockgardenlove, February 22, 2006, 04:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockgardenlove

I bought a bunch of parts for a project, this in particular:

I rebuilt it from scratch 5 times, didn't work, and troubleshooted excessively w/ the stuff in the stickied thread.  I don't really get what I'm doing, I think I started a bit over my head.  I've built a few pedals before, but not for ages.  So pretty much, I'm looking for a pretty simple build that could utilize some of those parts hopefully.  I would like to have some sort of booster though, as I just got a new tube amp(my first in fact) and I want a nice booster to push it into breakup.

So guys, give me some ideas.  A nice simple booster.  I looked at the tutorial forum thing, but I'd have to say I'm not exactly sure if thats what I want to do.  I want something that will actually be a useable pedal, not just some little circuit solely for the purpose of practicing, I'd like to be able to use it.  And remember, no weird fancy parts, stuff from radioshack would be best.

Thanks!

alteredsounds

Do the ROG May Queen.  Pretty straightforward build, no particularly weird parts and sounds really good, I've even added one to my board for those 'May, moments.

rockgardenlove

I think thats a bit more advanced than I really want to go, I'm looking for something just to get me started.  I built a fuzz and something else a LONG LONG time ago, but then kinda left electronics as a hobby.  Plus that circuit uses 2 transistors, I'm gonna try to get by with one Germanium one.

alteredsounds

Have you tried anyof the Rangemaster builds?

rockgardenlove

Nope, not yet.  They look pretty easy though.

burnt fingers

My first build was a vox treble booster.  Easydrive, rangemaster also come to mind.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

powerplayj

Seems like Jack's MOSFET booster is based off of a treble booster layout.  You might try that if you don't want a treble booster.
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???