Repairing a Boss GE-7 EQ..Help please

Started by BigLloyde, February 19, 2006, 02:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigLloyde

I have a GE-7 that a guy wants me to fix.  He tried changing 3 capacitors and now there is a huge volume drop when playing through the pedal, either on or bypassed.  I undid/ redid his mods, made sure everything was ok there, the only thing I'm thinking now is maybe where one of the caps soldered in, the pcb was damaged slightly, so the lead was bent over to the lead beside it, which is a transistor marked K118.  I think this transistor has something to do with the ON/OFF switching, and may have been cooked when he attempted to repair the damaged pcb.  Then only schematic I can find is at Free Info Society, but is for the older version of this pedal, not much help.  So I guess, mostly what I'm asking is for some help finding a replacement transistor for the K118.  I think it's a JFET, but could I substitute a more common one like a J201, or where could I find a K118.  Also, if anyone has a schematic for the newer GE-7 that would be great.  Thanks
Regards,
BigLloyde

rickortega

When you think that you have unintentionally jumpered part of a board, have touching solder connections, or have lifted a trace, you can use the sound feature of a DMM to check for continuity. It's a very rough check but has proven very effective for me in identifying these types of problems.

1st, if you don't have one, you'll need a DMM (digital multimeter) with this feature...can get it at any Radio Shack or possibly Home Depot-type store.

BigLloyde

Used the audio probe method and I have signal all the way through the pedal, just not as much as it needs.  Hard to say where it goes wrong without one to compare to.  I still think it is an opamp problem or one of the JFETs in the on/off circuit.  Schematics show a SK30A, and the ones on the board are marked K118.   Can't find either one in Mouser or Digi-Key, does anyone know what I could use for a substitute.  Thanks
Regards,
BigLloyde