Fuzz question regarding tone and character in the lower register

Started by Michael, February 22, 2006, 05:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Hi

I have been modifying a dunlop JHF2 fuzzface...

Mods:

Converted to NPN
Silicon transistors 2n3903 hfe 111 and 135
330 ohm resistor (in place of the normal 470)
0.047 uf cap (in place of 0.1)
10k trimpot resistor (in place of 8.2k)

What i want,,,, pretty much what im getting... nice overdrive fuzz thats musical and not to agressive.

But i also want a treble that bites if i hit the strings hard, and im getting all this now :)

What i want as this to be the perfect fuzz would be to get a little bit more definition out of the bass strings/bottom.

Kind of a bit more "air" and definition... not less bass (the 0.047 uf did what i need in bassresponse amountwise), just more defined and airy/crisp.

Hope some of you fuzztweakers has a few tricks, after all most of the stuff i did, i learned from this page allready :D

Michael

Ghandi

Hi Michael,
If you are pretty happy with the overall sound/response of your face,
than I would suggest you to first sweep the output cap back to 0,1uF
and than lowering the input cap from 2,2uF all the way down to 0,1uF.
This would help the bass not to mud out,
if you have found a value in between that fits perfect, perfect,
if not lower the output cap on step and than do the whole input cap sweep again.

Another trick would be to leave the input and output cap alone and change the 22uF cap on the fuzz control to 15uF.

If neither of these works,
I would suggest you to change the volume pot to 250K and than do the whole cap switch thing again.

Hope that helps
Ghandi

Michael

Hi Ghandi

Does it matter if the caps are 15 or 30 volt (for example) i mean its a 9 volt circuit, so as long as im above that all is fine?

Thanks
Michael

Ghandi

Michael

thanks Gandhi!

Anyone else have any comments on this? Im going to try out some of Gandhis suggestions, but i would like to hear from more fuzzlovers.

Michael

b_rogers

ive found i like smaller input caps like .022-.01 then a large outcap like .47 or .22 in a FF circuit. it seems to tighten up the bass before it is clipped, then the large output cap kinda makes up for the lost bottom. definitely socket almost everything and write down your favorite combos. hope this helps

Brent

homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

burnt fingers

Man I spent probalbly three nights swapping stuff in and out of my recent fuzz build.  I settled on .1uf  input cap and 1uf output cap.  It's not super bright but it's not super muddy either.  I think I could build 10 fuzz faces and find a different combination of tranny's and caps that I liked for each one.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music