Started by Connoisseur of Distortion, February 23, 2006, 12:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.S.P.

Analogue Signal Processing

phaeton

Quote from: R.G. on February 24, 2006, 02:07:25 PM
OK, start the Atmel/AVR stuff with this:
http://www.xdesignlabs.com/guide/index.html

Thanks for that link, R.G.  It was very enlightening.  The AVR-flavoured C is expectedly different than the ANSI99 I'm used to, but I can still recognize a lot of it.  As I read through these things, of course I think of non-audio/non-musical applications for these controllers.

I just can't decide if I want to get myself all trapped up in this  :icon_frown:
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

The Tone God

Quote from: phaeton on March 01, 2006, 03:25:24 PM
The AVR-flavoured C is expectedly different than the ANSI99 I'm used to, but I can still recognize a lot of it.  As I read through these things, of course I think of non-audio/non-musical applications for these controllers.

I don't know what compiler you are used too but the GNU GCC folks go through great lengths to follow documented standards and they do a pretty good job even when dealing with a platform like AVR. There are always minor differences amongst compiler even amongst the different AVR C compilers.

As a C programmer you will have to become more proficient in bit operators and hex/binary/decimal conversions. Its the nature of the beast.

I looked the code on that site and not to slag the writer but some of the programs could have been made simpler. I'm guessing some liberties were taken since the code looks to be written for a Mega16 which has alot more memory then we will have at first.

Quote from: phaeton on March 01, 2006, 03:25:24 PM
I just can't decide if I want to get myself all trapped up in this  :icon_frown:

You can always try your hand at the coding and simulation to see if it is to your liking before investing in hardware and time.

Andrew

phaeton

btw yes, gcc is what I'm used to.  Looking at it again, I think the main differences are related to the architecture itself, lot of the include files, etc.  At one point he used something like " ~led;" which I've never seen before.  Could be a dustier corner of regular ole C i'm just not familiar with.

I don't feel that I have the right to do so either, but yeah some of his programs probably could have been done a little better, i.e. putting 'void' in the parens of main() might be goofy.

Oh well.  Like I said, I'm debating as to whether I should even get myself wrapped up in this ;)
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

radio

A.S.P.

-As I understand also German your link was the jackpot!

Thanks alot!!

Greetings JME
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

The Tone God

Quote from: phaeton on March 01, 2006, 03:58:50 PM
btw yes, gcc is what I'm used to.  Looking at it again, I think the main differences are related to the architecture itself, lot of the include files, etc.

Yeah he did included alot of stuff he didn't need. For the flasher program he only need two includes at most.

At one point he used something like " ~led;" which I've never seen before.  Could be a dustier corner of regular ole C i'm just not familiar with.

Ah there are those bit manipulators I've talked about. Due to the nature of uC you will end up doing ALOT of playing with bits within bytes, which is something you probably haven't needed to use in desktop programming very much, so you will have to refresh your knowledge of bit manipulators to get going.

I don't feel that I have the right to do so either, but yeah some of his programs probably could have been done a little better, i.e. putting 'void' in the parens of main() might be goofy.

The standard setting in the makefile is for strict standards adherence. This means declaring main void. Its minor otherwise.

Oh well.  Like I said, I'm debating as to whether I should even get myself wrapped up in this ;)

You can wait till I have a few things up to decide as well. Whatever you chose is cool. :)

Did I not post that German site/forum link in the resource sticky ? Oops guess not. I will with a few other links that will be handy. They used to have a english starts tutorial as well but it looks them might have taken it down. :(

Andrew