News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

DIY FuzzFace Software

Started by WGTP, February 23, 2006, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGTP

Wow I might as well post on a forum for Rocket Surgeons.  This should give you a taste of the overall level of ignorance about this stuff.

Is this where the DIY Freeware for Distortions will be developed?   :icon_rolleyes:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

David

We're gonna all learn together, WG.  It's gonna be one heck of a ride!

As Peter wrote, doing distortion in digital is probably like killing a fly with a daisy-cutter bomb.  Controlling it, however, is utterly PERFECT for digital -- as in a digital version of R.G.'s "Jimi in a Box" or Howie's "Effects Switcher".

aron

Wow, I wonder there could be a module downloader. Depending on the gig, connect your pedal and download the code for the gig - Fuzz face one night, tube screamer the next etc...

bioroids

Well that's a great idea Aron!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

troubledtom

yes it's a learning curve for sure.{ i included ] but , .......................   

this is not for everybody , that's a given , if you stick w/ the basic learning structure that's  given, we can learn a lot together!
                cooooooool,
                          - tom

puretube

make that a remote-controllable wireless (infrared) module-downloader...
so anyone in the audience can choose "his" sound for the next solo.
(so-called: "Module-Karaoke")  :icon_mrgreen:

Peter Snowberg

I love DSP, but I think the best distortions will always be analog. Just an opinion. :)

Digital does many things very well, but analog chaos is not one of them.\

It looks like we're going to start the projects with control functions and we'll move into DSP at some point in the fairly near future. 8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

chrishopkins

And I wonder if there will be a debate on biasing the thing!  :icon_biggrin:

Basic Distortion algorithms are that, quite basic - it's shaping them to emulate classic sounds that's the problem.

WGTP

I don't really understand this, but I was thinking once the "classic" distortions were modeled, then they could be mixed, deconstructed, matched.  60% FF 40% TS or Rat attack blending into FF sustain or varying the bias over time or top half of wave TS and bottom FF, or inverting this and mixing with that, or top half thru flanger and bottom thru bi-filter or ... etc.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

troubledtom

Quote from: WGTP on February 24, 2006, 10:03:43 AM
I don't really understand this, but I was thinking once the "classic" distortions were modeled, then they could be mixed, deconstructed, matched.  60% FF 40% TS or Rat attack blending into FF sustain or varying the bias over time or top half of wave TS and bottom FF, or inverting this and mixing with that, or top half thru flanger and bottom thru bi-filter or ... etc.   :icon_cool:

maybe :icon_mrgreen:
       - tom

Floyd Pepper

Here's somewere to start with code examples http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/diy1/diy1.asp

Part 3 has an Overdrive.