News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

zvex pedals

Started by jonathan perez, February 26, 2006, 06:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan perez

do the seek wah, ooh wah, or wah probe use inductors, like those in conventional wahs?
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

A.S.P.

this is not OT, IMHO, but oughtta be posted in the main forum;
(any answer can be edited, there...  :icon_wink:)
Analogue Signal Processing

The Tone God

I think I remember Mr. Vex saying somewhere that he used a twin-T circuit. I don't know for sure.

Andrew

no one ever

Quote from: The Tone God on February 26, 2006, 07:23:40 PM
I think I remember Mr. Vex saying somewhere that he used a twin-T circuit. I don't know for sure.

Andrew

looks like an inductor at the left...
(chk chk chk)

cd

IIRC that's an LDR in the pic above.  Similar to the Zombie sequencer.

Dave_B

Quote from: cd on February 26, 2006, 09:57:01 PM
IIRC that's an LDR in the pic above.  Similar to the Zombie sequencer.
I'm 99% sure that's a Vactrol, since I just got a bag of them yesterday.  Apparently the pots feed the vactrol through a 4017 decade counter, eh?  Pretty cool layout.  The SMD's answer a lot of my questions.   :)
Help build our Wiki!

jonathan perez

so is that the same type of inductor on wahs? im not trying to build it or anything, i just dont know how it works. i plan on buying any of the aforementioned zvex pedal within the next 2 days.

is it the same type of inductors used in wahs?
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

soggybag

I'm sure that's an inductor on the left. This image comes from a website for a guy that adds a Tap Tempo to Zvex pedals. I'm pretty sure the extra PCB on top is the tap Tempo. It looks like there board below uses regular sized DIP chips. I think I recall reading on the Zvex site that the Ooh wah uses a "mild band pass filter". I sould suspect that it was some sort of twni T type.

The Tone God

The thing on the left is an opto so from that shot there does not look to be an inductor which would support my thought that it is a twin-T or some other inductor-less wha. I don't see in that that picture anything like a 4017 so I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

Andrew

kusi

hi guys,

im working on a 8-6-4 step-sequenzer-pedal like the seek-wah/trem. schematics and PBCs commin soon ;-)
(no, i didn`t clone zackis pedals!)

greetings KHE

Mark Hammer

Whatever it is, it's gorgeous.

cd

Quote from: The Tone God on February 27, 2006, 12:29:04 AM
The thing on the left is an opto so from that shot there does not look to be an inductor which would support my thought that it is a twin-T or some other inductor-less wha. I don't see in that that picture anything like a 4017 so I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

Andrew

Yup it's an LDR and twin-t.  ZV said so :)

http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=22933.msg145297#msg145297

I got the name of the sequencer I mentioned above wrong though.  It's a zombie CHORUS, and the sequencer I can't remember the name of.  It was from a circuit posted by Andrew, and had a funny name.  Someone refresh my memory?

nelson

Quote from: cd on February 27, 2006, 09:53:24 AM

Andrew

http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=22933.msg145297#msg145297

I got the name of the sequencer I mentioned above wrong though.  It's a zombie CHORUS, and the sequencer I can't remember the name of.
It was from a circuit posted by Andrew, and had a funny name.  Someone refresh my memory?

Vanishing point.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

cd

Quote from: nelson on February 27, 2006, 10:16:18 AM
Quote from: cd on February 27, 2006, 09:53:24 AM

Andrew

I got the name of the sequencer I mentioned above wrong though.  It's a zombie CHORUS, and the sequencer I can't remember the name of.
It was from a circuit posted by Andrew, and had a funny name.  Someone refresh my memory?

Vanishing point.

That's it.  Thanks :)

xshredx

Quote from: kusi on February 27, 2006, 01:55:49 AM
hi guys,

im working on a 8-6-4 step-sequenzer-pedal like the seek-wah/trem. schematics and PBCs commin soon ;-)
(no, i didn`t clone zackis pedals!)

greetings KHE

Be sure to let us know when you have it working, and schematics/pcbs ready... I'm very interested!

Paul Marossy

All of those Z. Vex pedals are a marvel to behold. Very clever packaging on every one that I have seen. :icon_cool:

Lurco

the problem seems to be, that it`s not clear, whether Mr. Vex used a vactrol or an optocoupler, what to do with the spare schmitt-triggers, and how to get rid of the pops when the steps occur.

it`s time to ask the master himself, after a year of experimenting

The Tone God

Quote from: Lurco on February 27, 2006, 04:44:00 PM
...it`s not clear, whether Mr. Vex used a vactrol or an optocoupler...

Vactrol is an optocoupler. Vactrol is just a brand name so it is like saying Kleanex and tissue paper. I personally dislike the use of the term "vactrol" for this reason.

Quote from: Lurco on February 27, 2006, 04:44:00 PM
...what to do with the spare schmitt-triggers, and how to get rid of the pops when the steps occur.

I don't know if Mr. Vex has ever stated that he uses schmitt trigger logic in his stuff. I use them to keep the circuit simple otherwise I get complaints that a circuit is "too complex" like I did with The Original Vanishing Point despite the fact that it did not have any popping. In any case with spares you tie them off as with standard logic. I have a Vanishing Point layout that I haven't posted that uses a 40106 which has six gates so I used one for a clock indicator.

As for clock noise follow the usual rules for removing clock ticking. I think I made a post awhile back about the steps I took to remove clock noise from such circuits. I'm sure a search will turn up some answers.

Andrew

Dave_B

Quote from: The Tone God on February 27, 2006, 06:56:23 PM
Quote from: Lurco on February 27, 2006, 04:44:00 PM...it`s not clear, whether Mr. Vex used a vactrol or an optocoupler...
Vactrol is an optocoupler. Vactrol is just a brand name so it is like saying Kleanex and tissue paper. I personally dislike the use of the term "vactrol" for this reason.
I was referring to the brand name, since that's what Zach said he used.   
Help build our Wiki!

brad

I experimented with sequencers quite a bit a few years ago, and came up with some great sounding and useful results.  Something like Kaustic Machine's take on the Vanishing Point  should do nicely for all your sequencing needs!

http://compiler.kaustic.net/machines/vanishing-moon.html

How about a squenced opto-compressor?  ;D